Sign in to follow this  

Stock 05' KTM 450EXC beats modded 04' DRZ400S

So it's official - My buddy's new 05 KTM 450 is just faster than the DRZ.

I rode w/him the day after he got his bike and he soundly defeated me in all ways related to power/torque - off the line - low end - high end etc etc etc...

His high gear is really high so once we got to about 60 it got even worse.

At this point both our bikes are completely stock mechanically and both are jetted lean from the factory. We both weight nearly the same.

One week Later:

Performance-wise I've done the 3x3 - DynoJet mod(works great), twin-air and opened up my exhaust. New Plug - Ran Premium gas and even added some 104 octane boost I had laying around. It has more grunt w/o a doubt.

He rejetted his KTM(it was lean)

He beat me soundly again but by less - I can hang w/him for the first 20-30 feet - then he just walks away.

This was on a sandy dirt road - both have new tires and if anything mine are slightly better for the terrain than his OEM bridgestones.

I think this is about as realistic and fair test that could be done and it shows that the KTM450 is just faster.

So anyway - this is my mission - &%$#@! is it gonna take to make my DRZ beat a nearly stock 450EXC?

I've removed all the weight I can - I could resort to hotcams or a big bore kit - but will it be in vain? I've thought of buying a can of Oxygenated Racing Gas($65 per 5 gal) or - Do I need to just trade the DRZ in on a Eurobike?

My 400 would probably keep up or be close to it. It does well at the SM track against the 450s on the straight. Its got the money in the right places.....

FCR

Yosh Ti TRS

Flow Commander

JD Blue Needle

Taffy mod

E Base Gasket

Edit : Oh ya I forgot mine is kick start only and is lighter than my E. I am sure that helps quite a bit too. Not to mention I am only 165 lbs. :banghead:

JB Blue Needle and Flow Commander....what are those mods?

Is the E-Base Gasget mod worth it on it's own?

50cc's isn't all that big of difference.

The obvious advantages he has are:

Lighter bike by about 30 lbs.

FCR carb stock

Dual port exhaust.

My 400 would probably keep up or be close to it. It does well at the SM track against the 450s on the straight. Its got the money in the right places.....

FCR

Yosh Ti TRS

Flow Commander

JD Blue Needle

Taffy mod

E Base Gasket

Your bike is in another class :applause::banghead:

I bet mine with a good rider would give him a run for his money...... :banghead:

Dual port exhaust.
How is this an advantage?
50cc's isn't all that big of difference.

Oh really speaking from experience?

My Brother has a 04 ktm 450exc and mine keeps up with him until he gets to 6th at 75mph.Now with a 440 and rhc head I bet my drz will get it on with most any 450

Dual Ports breathe better...and in the bigger scheme of things 50cc is minor.

I've seen 600cc bikes beat 900's and even 1100's. Displacement is only one way of producing more power.

JB Blue Needle and Flow Commander....what are those mods?
The JD Blue Needle is a slide needle for the FCR. You can order the kit in the TT store. It has great characteristics. FCR mixture perfected.

The flowcommander is a replacement velocity stack that has externally adjustable main air / pilot air needles to replace the OEM one which has to be removed to change air jets.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y297/n8theg8/fc7.jpg

Is the E-Base Gasget mod worth it on it's own
Every bit helps.
Your bike is in another class🤣:applause: [/Quote]Thx :banghead:

Your bike is in another class :applause::banghead:

Maybe he is too. I have met people that could probably outride my drz on a ct90. 🤣

Did you compare pocket books as well? I'm sure his lighter wallet had something to do with it as well.

Did you compare pocket books as well? I'm sure his lighter wallet had something to do with it as well.

To go with that compare maintenance schedules.

Quick note, the exotic fuel (aka 104 boost and race gas) will not increase performance. Just lighten your wallet.

Use the money you saved buying the DRZ vs. the KTM to do the performance mods listed above..Like what Nate says. Then if you really need it, go for the bigger bore job. There is no replacement for cc's.

That's my 2 cents...

the ktm is way lighter.add 50lbs to his and add 50 cc to yours and do the nesesary other perf stuff and you will kick butt for less money than his stock ktm :banghead:

I don't think the DRZ will beat the KTM. KTM was having a demo and I was able to ride an 04 EXC 400 and it blew the DRZ away imo. It weighs about 50 lbs less and has more horsepower stock. Now you can sit there and modify your DRZ all you want, but so can the KTM. I love my DRZ, but the KTM beats it for performance hands down.

You are comparing apples to oranges here. The KTM is a race ready high performance dirt bike, and the DRZS is a heavy mild steet bike. :banghead: