Sign in to follow this  

New Dr650 sticky shifting

Crap, sold my v-strom and bought a 2005 Dr650 with calif emissions. I can fix that crummy idle and low throttle problem, but the bike now has 450 miles on it and after it gets warm, it refuses to shift properly. It roughly shifts into first gear and seems to stick or bump every gear I go for, whether it's an up shift or down. Sticky, Sticky. I made sure the lever was adjusted properly and no help. Anybody else have this problem on a new DR? Going to the dealer tomorrow but would like an idea on what the problem might be. Am a senior rider and know how to baby a bike, and this is not right. Vstrom was a velvet smooth shifter, but wasn't going to fit in my baja plans. Also owned a 1993 DR350 for 10 years and was never like this :banghead: :

Adjust the clutch cable. I had to several times in the early miles of my bike adjust the clutch cable. I finally scrapped the specs in the manual and adjusted the clutch so there is 2 to 3 mm slack in the clutch cable. I haven't had a problem since.

To make sure you have the same problem as I did here is what mine would do.

I have trouble getting the bike into first. The shifter felt spongy. Once in first I had are a hard time finding nuetral. I would try to hit nuetral from second and I would be in first.

I also changed the oil and filter at 500, 1000, and 1500 miles, but I didn't have any probs with the clutch after 800 miles.

I think your clutch is just "wearing in", as mine did.

Greg.

i have a problem getting into first from second and neutral sometimes. only way to fix it is rocking the bike alot or slipping the clutch and shifting into 1st which makes a louder noise.

Bike has 23,000kms.

Well it is under warrantee let the dealer deal with it. I would check the clutch adjustment as the others have said. Also make sure it is full of oil

Perry

Another thing is the oil itself. We have one bike that hates the thinner oils. We went back to a 20/50 synth oil and it shifts smooth. Put that oil in the ones that shifted good and they got better.

The clutch plates just need to wear in some, and the cable will stretch some. Adjust the cable til you can easily shift to first from neutral and neutral to first. Forget about the factory adjustment specs, as long as you have some play between the perch and clutch lever (cable slack) so the clutch can fully engage. I had to adjust mine several times, but after 800 miles I haven't had to touch my clutch. I now have 3231 miles on the bike.

Greg

thanks for the imput, with it being under warranty, I had the dealer do the first oil change. He told me to put more miles on it and get it broke in. Said That this is the way DR650's are, especially new and having straight cut gears. Something to note, when moving it backwards in my garage, with a dead motor, pull the clutch in, and push it backwards, I feel a heavy drag and strain to move it backwards. Doing the same with my xr650 and ttr250 no problem. So not to be a whinner, I going to ride it 3000 miles in Baja come back, and with 5 months of warranty left see if it gets better. :banghead:

Take a shift lever and ditch the handle bars there not really made of metal its some other material like pasta. I straighten mine by leaving them in the sun on a flat surface but not to long or they will melt. not really but not far from true, I ride mine like a 125 and treat my tranny like a card board box I'm mad at,and she does fine after 1100 miles of all off road, chasing and out pacing even KTMs.

:banghead: Getting better with oil change some riding and a close eye on the clutch adjustment. Finally starting to run decent with a moose jet kit. as follows New needle 4th notch from the top, 160 main jet. Idle screw 2.5 turns out---just like the instructions say...The Idle Screw was turned all the way in from the factory ,,,just barely cracked, the things they do to pass Calif. Emissions. Would not run unless I left the choke on while sitting in traffic. How assinine, Was actually dangerous. Now it purrs like Morris (R>I>P ) :applause: :