Sign in to follow this  

Could It Be A Mini DRZ?!

The KLX250 will supposedly be available in North America for 2006.

It looks like North Americans will finally have the option to buy a truly modern liquid cooled small dualsport, now. The only options lately have been the XT225, the KLR250, or the DR200. None of which are very good for fast and aggressive offroad riding.

At 255 lbs with all the dualsport gear onboard, a liquid-cooled engine, and a modern dirtbike frame and suspension, this little 250 looks like it could be a pretty decent woods riding trail bike.

KLX250.jpg

Then Again...

One of these (KLX300R) weighs only 234 lbs, and has a much stronger motor than the 250. And where I live, legally dualsporting and plating it is a piece of cake...

05_KLX300R.jpg

Have you seen the specs on the klx250? I'm not sure that the 300 is going to be all that much stronger myself. While it has 50cc of additional displacement the 250 should be a much more modern design.

Have you seen the specs on the klx250? I'm not sure that the 300 is going to be all that much stronger myself. While it has 50cc of additional displacement the 250 should be a much more modern design.

I'm pretty sure the KLX250 is just a steet legal, e-start, heavier, lower displacement version of the KLX300. It's not any more modern since the KLX250 has been available overseas for several years.

It is actually a KLR250

http://www.kawasaki.com/html/default_frame.asp?strContentURL=/html/motorcycles/dual/klr650_frame.asp

INTRODUCTION

MSRP $4,249

An experienced off-road motorcyclist knows the advantages of a good dual-purpose motorcycle: the lightweight chassis makes it easy to ride, the upright seating position is comfortable and perfect for scanning the horizon, and it's inexpensive to own and operate. Best of all, a dual-purpose bike gives the rider the ability to simply ride from the garage to explore quiet dirt roads and out-of-the-way places, which is why the Kawasaki KLR250 is so much fun.

The KLR250 is powered by a four-stroke, single-cylinder liquid-cooled engine with dual overhead cams operating four valves for superior performance. Double engine counterbalancers keep the powerplant running smooth from idle to redline, and an automatic cam chain tensioner helps maintain more precise cam timing without maintenance.

The frame for the KLR250 is made of the same high-tech, high-tensile steel used in Kawasaki's world-class KX motocross machines. A detachable, lightweight aluminum rear subframe simplifies maintenance by providing access to the airbox, carburetor and rear shock.

The KLR250 features an air adjustable front fork and Kawasaki's UNI-TRAK® rear suspension, providing more than nine inches of travel at both ends to smooth the ride. The latter features adjustable spring preload and rebound damping. Helping to maintain good traction on pavement or dirt roads, the KLR250's wheels are shod with universal tires, while a single front disc brake and rear drum brake help to ensure smooth, powerful stops.

SPECIFICATIONS

Engine: Four-stroke, DOHC, four-valve single

Displacement: 249cc

Bore x stroke: 74.0 x 58.0mm

Compression ratio: 11.0:1

Cooling: Liquid

Carburetion: Keihin CVK34

Ignition: CDI

Transmission: Six-speed

Frame: Semi-double-cradle, high-tensile steel

Rake / trail: 28.5° / 4.6 in.

Suspension type, front: 36mm leading-axle fork

Suspension adjustments, front: Air-adjustable hydraulic telescopic fork

Suspension type, rear: UNI-TRAK® single-shock system

Suspension adjustments, rear: Adjustable preload with four-way rebound damping

Wheel travel, front: 9.1 in.

Wheel travel, rear: 9.1 in.

Tire, front: 3.00 x 21

Tire, rear: 4.60 x 17

Brakes, front / rear: Hydraulic disc / Drum

Overall length: 84.3 in.

Overall width: 33.7 in.

Overall height: 47.6 in.

Ground clearance: 10.6 in.

Seat height: 33.7 in.

Dry weight: 258 lbs.

Fuel capacity: 2.9 gal.

Wheelbase: 55.7 in.

Color: Aztec Red

* Price and specifications subject to change

Features

249cc Four-stroke Single Cylinder Engine

- Silent cam chain runs quietly and reliably, while automatic cam chain tensioner maintains more precise cam timing without maintenance

- Oil-level window provided for easy and accurate inspection

- Six-speed transmission

Liquid Cooling

- Maintains consistent engine temperatures for long engine life and sustained power during hard use

- Allows tighter engine clearances for quieter running and more power

- Automatic fan keeps things cool even in traffic

- Includes a temperature gauge

Four Valve Cylinder Head

- Boosts low-end torque and provides better breathing for more power at high rpm

- Compact combustion chamber for increased compression ratio without detonation on today's gasolines

- Provides maximum valve area for optimum flow

Double Engine Balancers

- Engine runs smoothly from idle to redline for rider comfort and less fatigue

Kawasaki Automatic Compression Release (KACR)

- KACR helps to ensure quick, easy starts

Capacitor Discharge Ignition with Electronic Advance

- Precisely controls timing no matter how fast the rpm changes

- Fewer moving parts for long, trouble-free life

Semi-flat Slide CVK Carburetor

- Precisely meters fuel for good fuel economy

- Provides quick throttle response

- Handlebar-mounted choke makes starting and warm-up easier

Long-travel Suspension

- Designed to provide a smooth ride on and off the road

Universal Tires

- Provide good traction on and off the road

Semi-double Cradle Frame

- Made with same high-tech, round-section high-tensile steel as the world-class KX motocross bikes

Aluminum Skid Plate

- Protects engine against rocks and trail debris when the going gets tough

Detachable Aluminum Rear Subframe

- Helps keep weight to a minimum and simplifies maintenance by providing better access to the rear shock, airbox and carburetor

Bottom-link UNI-TRAK® Rear Suspension

- Lowers the center of gravity for better handling

- Progressive rate provides a smoother, more controlled ride

- Features adjustable preload shock absorber with four-way rebound damping

Lighting and USFS-Approved Spark Arrestor

- Street-legal lighting with turn signals

- U.S. Forest Service-approved spark arrestor

Theft Deterrent

- Ignition switch incorporates steering lock

Rear Fender Tool Pouch

- Extra space for riding accessories

Yeah my wifes DR200se looks like it is gonna get upgraded wether she likes it or not :banghead:

Here's the Aussie specs for the KLX250...

http://www.kawasaki.com.au/au/all_products/motorcycles/motorcycles_subcat_offroad/klx250r/specs.htm

And yeah, it does look pretty good, 10guy. I could actually see myself considering one, just for the 40 pound weight saving over my DRZ400S. And the reason is that light weight and good suspension are what's king on the rocky woods trails where I ride.

The best woods bike I ever owned was my Yamaha IT200 smoker, and it was the light weight and great suspension that made it so easy to smoke bigger bikes on the trails on that bike. Stump-pulling power is not much of an advantage on a tight, rocky woods trail.

Here's the Aussie specs for the KLX250...

The best woods bike I ever owned was my Yamaha IT200 smoker, and it was the light weight and great suspension that made it so easy to smoke bigger bikes on the trails on that bike. Stump-pulling power is not much of an advantage on a tight, rocky woods trail.

I had as 85 IT 200, Loved that old bike, my only complaint was the drum brakes. Bullet Proof Bike!!!

JL

Yep...

My 1986 IT200 had disc brakes on the front, only. I had an IT175 before that one. Both were amazingly agile tight woods trail bikes. Here's a shot of me from nearly 20 years ago...

jumpit.jpg

And here's a close up of one just like it...

IT200.jpg

The KLX 300 was a KLX 250 when it was first introduced in the 90's so I doubt that this 250 is any more modern than the 300. It does have the E button, but they have been selling this DS bike overseas for years. It would be a good wife bike, but not much more. Dont get caught up in the ad dept. hype, the DRZs is a much better dirt bike.

Nice!

I'll be looking to hear from you on how you like it!

Pics of you trail riding it when you get it, please.

:banghead::applause:

Dont get caught up in the ad dept. hype, the DRZs is a much better dirt bike.

I have no doubt it is for many riding situations, but I'm willing to bet I could out run a lot of guys on DRZ400s on the very rocky and tight woods trails we have around here, on that KLX250. 40 pounds is a BIG difference on a rocky trail.

I have a KLX300 for my 14 year old son. I must admit that I've ridden it :applause: . It is a nicely suspended (after respringing), lighter, and capable off roader. It will hual my fat (no doughnut jokes please 🤣 ) butt around quite nicely.

Mods for more power are easy.......Dynojet kit for the CV or an FCR. Mine is currently Dynojetted, pretty good, but I have an FCR on the bench :banghead: . Exhaust is corked, and the crankcase needs a breather plumbed to the airbox to free it up a little. Loads of good info on KLX Zone and Planet KLX sites.

Good bikes, I really wish the 300 had the E button though. A dualsported 300 with E start would be really sweet!

While we're on the subject of bikes in the 250 lb range...

I've been toying with the idea of buying the KTM 450EXC that's marked down a $1000 at my local KTM dealer, and dualsporting it.

Now THAT would be a great light-weight woods bike, and with a lot more power than my DRZ400, too. But I'm worried about the KTM's need for much more constant maintenance, and whether it would be as reliable as my DRZ.

You know...all those KTM jokes about not riding it any further than you'd want to push it, and all.

:banghead:

PICT0583.JPG

1996 KLX250r

Looks familiar and a great bike for tight trails but even modified the power is nothing to write home about.

The new kLX250S is now on the Kawasaki website!

Still shows a klr250 at first, but click on all the specs and images, etc., and you get the KLX250 data and pics.

Dealer says mine is due in 3 weeks. :banghead:

Uhm....I also ordered one of the last 05 KLR250's, just in case I don't like the KLX250 for some reason. Dealer will let me test-ride the KLX before buying, since I'm such a good customer..... :applause:

NOTE:

I'm going to be the first user for the Kouba links that are supposed to

lower the seat by 2-1/8 inches.

Then the seat height will be around 32.6 inches or so high.

I put these links on my KLR250, and the 2-inch lowering changed the

seat height from "too high" to "perfect" for me.

I'm hoping the links will work their magic on the KLX too.