Sign in to follow this  

front sprocket question on dr650

I just put a 14 tooth sprocket on my 650 and noticed that the metal plate that bolts to the sprocket looks like its touching the chain just a hair and I just wanted to know if anybody else has noticed this or did I do something wrong? and does the flat side of the sprocket face the outside? Thanks

It will touch for a few miles then it will wear little dimples in it to match the chain.

Perry

I've read elsewhere that the part does require grinding down the outer edge of the plate required grinding down before installation. I've bought the part but haven't put metal to grinder yet.

I also went with the 14t front sprocket. I had the same problem. I just ground off about a 1/16 of an inch all the way around on the bench grinder. Not a problem after that. I used a compass with it open a 1/16" and marked my line around the plate. Kinda like scribing a piece of wood. Don't forget to add med, strength lock tite to the three bolts and torque them to 7ft. lbs. Hope this helps.

I just reassembled it as it came off and having put about 6,000 miles on it now really don't see the need to grind it. :banghead:

Mike.

PS - I am big on using lock tight though :applause: