Sign in to follow this  

POS 250 did it again

well, i was getting ready for a big ride this friday, theres no school so evreyone was going.

i was going to go for a ride to warm it up before changing the oil. as i clicked it in to gear it dies. :banghead:

then i tried agin, same thing, it did this before so there must be something wrong.

https://thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=257604&highlight=major

thats the link to the last time it happened.

i'm more :applause: thats i'm gonna miss this ride than anuthing.

right now i'm soaking the clucth in oil to try get it to move. but its not working. is it hard to take the whole thing apart?

i haven't ridden in 2 weeks.🤣

The clutch is probably one of the easiest parts of the bike to dissassemble and reassemble. You need to take it apart and inspect it. Do that and then report what you find.

First post here just for your info. I have the same problem with my 2002 Wr250f canadian spec if that matters. This is the second time it has crapped out on me exactly as the first poster described. First time I just took it to the cycle shop and they said swollen plates and they wernt sure why. This makes me so angry as soon as its fixed I am selling it. :banghead:

My old 125 did this tons. What I found to work to get the thing in gear would be wheel it to the dirt (on cement for some reason it seemed to jump and die more) and then give it a big rev and right when you let off put it in first. If your lucky it will go in gear and not die out.

My 426 will do that when its really cold in the winter, I figure its just cause the oil is too cold and thick... if I let the bike warm up then it will go into gear and Im cruzin. Probably not related, but just curious.. what kind of oil are you using?? Did you get your clutch plates and fibers replaced recently?

ok, so i took it apart, and everything was fine :banghead:

but it was still locked up when i oiled everything and reassembled. So my dad pushed me and i clicked it into gear(dumb, i know) so i was going in 1st from my garage to the end of my drive way and back(i have a long driveway) i turned it around without stalling and headed back, about half way i pulled the clutch and it was fine, it worked :applause: but when i stopped it and tried to push it in gear the tire would slide on the ground. so the clutch is still tight. would it be okay to ride like this? i'm gonna ride it tomorow and see what it does.

This is the second time it has crapped out on me exactly as the first poster described. First time I just took it to the cycle shop and they said swollen plates and they wernt sure why.

i think the plates may be swollen becuase i haven't ridden it. :banghead:

when the sit in the oil they may swell :applause:

Did ya even try adjusting your cable?

Try giving pulling your clutch in and out while it is ideling and maybeing that will loosen things up a bit. If not try feathing the clutch like you would a 2 stroke when you put it in gear. You might have to burn your clutch in.

Mine does that all the time, worse on colder days. I just rev the motor a little before putting into gear, does not bother me at all :banghead: . Once it warms up its fine :applause:.

Brian

i was told by my buddy today whos clutch was doing the same thing, there was notches in the baskets i think, so he made his dad file them all down and it was fixed. maybe thats my problem? but my dad rode it when i was at drivwers ed and he said it was good to go, so tomrows awesome ride is on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

sounds like it needs adjusted. i have alot of people bring me there bikes doing the same thing. newer bikes only need about .040 of free play.

Sounds like your clutch "sticks" when it sits for a while. That is, simply, the plates adhere to each other. Not altogether uncommon. I hate to keep bringing up YamaLube,....

Anyway, a quick blip of throttle with the clutch held in, and snap it in gear with the revs up a little should break it loose.

Make sure your bike is fully warm before clicking it into gear.

Adjust your clutch cables if needed. Give the bike some quick revs before going into gear.

i did all that, and it didn't work, so i fixed it. i rode for a 11/2 hour lat night and its fine, but its raining so my big ride with like 10 others is off til noon.

OK Grayracer, I bite. Why would YamaLube cause clutch problems? I haven't had any trouble with it. Can you give me a good reason to stop using it?

It may be the weight of the oil. We were running 20/50 and had creeping with the Rekluse in my daughter's YZ250F. We dropped to 10/40 and this cured many evils....

Rich

now thats it colder i'll look into the heavier stuff. my ride was aesome, i did some huge jumps, a 40 ft table, a 30 foot double, and 20 ft double and some other small stuff, it was great. 15 miles one way to the track though, long ride with hail smaking you in the face.