Sign in to follow this  

Helllp!

ok so i just bought a Rmz 450 and i cant get it started for nothing. I know 4 strokes are hard to start but not this hard. also i push started it yesterday and it ran fine but it wont idle it just quits :banghead: Anyone have any ideas?

mine was areal pain to start .. until I got a zip ty fuel screw .. since then she starts like a dime .

but did it eventually start?? cause the only way mine will start is if you push start it. It feels like theirs no compression when im kicking it. but it runs fine once it starts :banghead:

No compression? Try adjusting the idle up. Make sure the choke is on. Also, you have to bring the kickstart all the way to the top and give it a decent size kick. I hope I do not sound condesending, just trying to get to the root of the problem. Keep us posted.

be careful guys,

mine one is on dealer cause the kick starter stopped to work, and it was very hard, and when i saw it totally blocked i find a BIG crack on engine, just near the cover on the base of kick-starter, and it was very huge.

The dealer opened the right side of engine, and he found kick-starter completily blocked due to a big space between starting part pieces (sorry i don't know the translation) so 3 days before "big crack" i noticed that starting procedure was hardest than before, and sometimes on kick-start gear was making some strange noise, so i decide to bring it to dealer, and just in front of dealer it blocked.

i'm waiting answer from dealer.

ciao

be careful guys,

mine one is on dealer cause the kick starter stopped to work, and it was very hard, and when i saw it totally blocked i find a BIG crack on engine, just near the cover on the base of kick-starter, and it was very huge.

The dealer opened the right side of engine, and he found kick-starter completily blocked due to a big space between starting part pieces (sorry i don't know the translation) so 3 days before "big crack" i noticed that starting procedure was hardest than before, and sometimes on kick-start gear was making some strange noise, so i decide to bring it to dealer, and just in front of dealer it blocked.

i'm waiting answer from dealer.

ciao

I just got mine back from the dealer after this happened to me and had the engine/gearbox case's and new bearings under warranty from Suzuki

Don't touch the throttle. Put your hand next to the throttle and try kicking it. If not throttle the bike.

Yeh it was brand new, not even 20 min on it yet. im just going to take it to the dealer today.

Thanks though.

Some of the RMZ450's arrived with the valve clearances a bit tight.

Both of mine had clearances to small, but not enough to leave a valve open.

This is a possible cause of your problem, and may be a place to start.

sounds to me like you should take your carb off and clean out the jets. mainly the pilot circuit. if fuel sits in the carb for to long then it will clog the holes in the jets and prevent fuel from traveling through. also make sure on a cold start you use the choke(black knob) and not the hot start button.

yeh^^^ the dealer just got looking at it today and he said that it was somthing tricky?? idk what their doin but its been 2 days already :banghead:

I had the same problem when I first bought this bike, I found that if it doesnt start after 2 or 3 kicks to turn off the gas and try again, usully it will fire right up unless its really flooded, If so you should tip the bike over and drain all the fuel out of the carb(leave the gas off) and kick it again,If your still having problems turn on the choke and wick the throttle real quick.I also found it was easier to start after i adjusted my cam chain. dont get discouraged these bikes are tricky to start but once you get it down you can usually fire it up by the 3rd kick, oh yea and DONT POP START IT, you could thow off your timing, and kill your motor.

I dont use the choke, wick the throttle 3 times and lite it up, if it doesnt start I pull the hot start and kick, starts easier that way than pulling the choke.

I read somewhere on this forum to avoid push starting these bikes. Something about screwing up the timing

Broken valve spring... but i dont know how this happened to a brand new bike thats never been ridden :banghead: