Sign in to follow this  

problem running after Clarke tank installation

Howdy all,

New member here. Maybe y'all can help with my problem.

I've got a 95 DR 350 ES. I bought a Clarke 4.2 gallon tank. The directions that came with the tank say, "This tank uses your stock petcock, however the spacer plate must be removed."

After taking the petcock off the old tank, I couldn't find the "spacer plate" the directions are talking about. The new tank comes with a rubber washer for sealing the petcock against the new tank, but no spacer that I could find. So I keep right on installing the tank.

All goes well. Everything fits good. With the new tank came a new gas cap. Now, instead of having a lockable cap, its a cap with a vent hose.

When I get done and crank it up, the bike doesn't want to run like it did with the stock tank. It won't idle. It will idle if I choke it, but not on its own. With the stock tank, everything was perfect. Something changed with the new tank.

Also, there is more carburetor noise. It's almost a sucking noise.

Since the new cap has a vent hose, could that change how it would run?

Does anybody have any advice on how to fix it?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

all you need to do is cap your vacuum line that used to go to the petcock. that's what makes the noise and causes it not to run. you can leave the hose connected to the carb and just put a screw in the end of the hose or pull the hose and find a cap for the little nub.

Man, thanks a bunch. I had a feeling that's what it was, but since the instructions didn't say anything about it, I didn't know.

Also, if I cap the vacuum line, the petcock won't open when I crank it up. Will I have to run the petcock on prime all the time, or will I have to get different petcock?

Thanks bunches

are you running the stock suzuki petcock or an aftermarket one? if you use the suzuki one, just hook the vacuum line back up as the stock tank was. if you have an aftermarket petcock, it should be a gravity feed. turn it to the on postion and it wil start to drain, turn to off position when you are done riding.

you'll have to prime to refill the float bowl, then just use it as normal once it fires.

are you running the stock suzuki petcock or an aftermarket one? if you use the suzuki one, just hook the vacuum line back up as the stock tank was. if you have an aftermarket petcock, it should be a gravity feed. turn it to the on postion and it wil start to drain, turn to off position when you are done riding.

you'll have to prime to refill the float bowl, then just use it as normal once it fires.

I guess I'm misunderstanding you. In your first post you said cap the vacuum line. The stock petcock relies on the vacuum from the carb to open the petcock when the bike starts. If you cap the vacuum line, the petcock won't open will it?

Hmmm. I guess I'm back to square one. I wonder what has changed going from one tank to the next?

Hmmm. I guess I'm back to square one. I wonder what has changed going from one tank to the next?

I guess the question is, does it still give you problems if you run her on PRIME?

If not... somethings gone wrong with the petcock's vacuum side (gravity feed

rules) I like an "OFF" position :banghead:

The instructions for my clarke tank said to remove the smog equip in order for the tank to fit. If you did so, you now have another carb vacuum port that needs to be blocked.

I guess the question is, does it still give you problems if you run her on PRIME?

If not... somethings gone wrong with the petcock's vacuum side (gavity feed

rules) I like an "OFF" position :banghead:

I do to. I'm gonna go try it on PRIME and come back with the results.

Bingo!!!! I just plugged the vacuum hose and it runs like a charm!!! The vacuum hose must have to have a closed tank with no vent hose to work properly.