Sign in to follow this  

crf trailtech flywheel

anyone on a crf inspected thier trail tech flywheel after putting some time on them?

Mine was cracked and chipping about 1/16" around the outside edge of the magnet.

talked to someone from trail tech today on this. This is what they had to say:

"The damage is only cosmetic and will not affect the engine in any way. Since these pieces are coming off of a magnet, they will not get dispersed through the engine, they will continue to stick to the flywheel"

They supposedly have seen this before. They offered me a 30% discount on a new one, but would not replace it since they felt it was only cosmetic damage.

I am not so sure I am ready to reinstall the flywheel. At the RPM of that engine, I think the little chunks could get away from that flywheel and wreak havoc in other parts (cylinder, bearings, etc). Also am not so sure I want to go back to the same brand and risk having this happen again. But the only other options I am seeing are ones that you have to literally drill, tap threads and bolt the weight onto the stock one.

Anyone else have experience with this?

This is what they had to say:

"The damage is only cosmetic and will not affect the engine in any way. Since these pieces are coming off of a magnet, they will not get dispersed through the engine, they will continue to stick to the flywheel"

They supposedly have seen this before. They offered me a 30% discount on a new one, but would not replace it since they felt it was only cosmetic damage.

I am not so sure I am ready to reinstall the flywheel. At the RPM of that engine, I think the little chunks could get away from that flywheel and wreak havoc in other parts (cylinder, bearings, etc). Also am not so sure I want to go back to the same brand and risk having this happen again.

Anyone else have experience with this?

Call Stealy.

http://www.steahlyoffroad.com/store2003/weights.php?s_make=honda&s_category=Flywheel+Weights

Complete flywheel. 149 bucks.

You may be able to get one a little cheaper from TT...Id contact Bryan Bosch and find out...

Not yet but crap; another thing to worry about :banghead: I have the 13oz extra on my 04 and check about a month ago (ordered 3 gaskets with the flywheel) after three months of use and all looked OK. I will check again during the winter teardown. Thanks for the possible heads up. BTW, they actually had the balls to say "cosmetic"--Jimminy Crickets

As soon as I installed a trail teck flyweel my bike started to break down when It got up to operating temp. I check out the stator output voltage and it droped from 250-350 cold to 90-100 hot . I have not yet contacted trail tech but I sure hope they send me a new flywheel.

I've had a Trail tech 15oz flywheel on for over a year now. Last time I checked, it looked perfect and the bike runs great. I've had great luck with customer service, good people in my book.

As soon as I installed a trail teck flyweel my bike started to break down when It got up to operating temp. I check out the stator output voltage and it droped from 250-350 cold to 90-100 hot . I have not yet contacted trail tech but I sure hope they send me a new flywheel.

they make a low power one for mx racing, and they make a high power one for lights.

if you put the high power one on your mx bike with NO LIGHTS it will overpower the black box and make it miss and sputter and shoot ducks and so on .

i have had some of these , and i have had the correct ones fail also.

i have also had some Ricky stater stuff go south also very quickly :ride:

the stealy stuff seams to work better --longer like Shawn says :ride:

I've had a Trail tech 15oz flywheel on for over a year now. Last time I checked, it looked perfect and the bike runs great. I've had great luck with customer service, good people in my book.

What do you use the 15 oz for...tight woods only? I am debating a 11 or 13 because I ride tight woods but also hit some open desert riding. Just trying to find that perfect balance.

I run the heaviest tt makes for my '03 and love it in EVERYTHING... When I mean everything I mean, dunes, open desert, baja, single track in both woods and desert, cruising, racing etc... I don't ride any track though so that's the only thing I can't vouch for. Personally I don't know why you would ever not go with the heaviest unless you drag race/ ride only track. I can still lift the front end in 5th gear without a problem!!!

I run the heaviest tt makes for my '03 and love it in EVERYTHING... When I mean everything I mean, dunes, open desert, baja, single track in both woods and desert, cruising, racing etc... I don't ride any track though so that's the only thing I can't vouch for. Personally I don't know why you would ever not go with the heaviest unless you drag race/ ride only track. I can still lift the front end in 5th gear without a problem!!!

Cool, thanks for that advice. No track for me, either...but, like you said, a bit of everything else. So are you running a Trail Tech or Stealy? I was all over TT until this thread...

I'm running the TT setup. I've had it for over a year now. I've never pulled the side cover off to inspect but it still works and runs great. I'm using it with their stator rewind to power an 8" HID light... There's pics of the flywheel and everything in my garage

<---------

Khris