Big guy looking for first bike.

First off I would like to say that this site looks awesome so far,Ive been lurking around for about a week but just decided to join today. Anyway I'm almost 7 feet tall and I weigh just over 380 pounds and I looking for a dirtrbike that I can do some trailriding on and maybe make street legal some day. I went to my Honda dealer yestarday and sat on an XR650R but when I got on it I broke 3 spokes and left a permanent Imprint in the seat. I'm thinking I might need something with heavier suspension? If you guys have any suggestions on a good bike I appreciate it.

Thanks,rundown

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First off I would like to say that this site looks awesome so far,Ive been lurking around for about a week but just decided to join today. Anyway I'm almost 7 feet tall and I weigh just over 380 pounds and I looking for a dirtrbike that I can do some trailriding on and maybe make street legal some day. I went to my Honda dealer yestarday and sat on an XR650R but when I got on it I broke 3 spokes and left a permanent Imprint in the seat. I'm thinking I might need something with heavier suspension? If you guys have any suggestions on a good bike I appreciate it.

Thanks,rundown

Too funny! :banghead::applause:??

ktm 525 XC DESERT RACING ?

broke spokes thats not possible unless something was wrong with em

you can take a 250lb guy and go off a 10 foot jump on a 650 and bottom it out and not break spokes

Well the dealer said that the spokes weren't tightened enough and that it wasn't my fault. KTM525? Ill have to look into that,who makes that bike,do you have any links?

Thanks,rundown

When I first got my KTM 525 EXC, I weighed 280 (with no gear). As soon as I got the bike, I sent it off to get the suspension done for my weight. Manufacturers don't set the suspension stock for us big people, so any bike you get, you'll have to get the suspension done. I would suggest an XR650 or a KTM 525 for you. Both are very good bikes :banghead:

Too funny! :banghead::applause:??

Whats "Too funny!" The dealer said it wasn't my fault that I broke the spokes,it was a used bike and they weren't tightened,I also think I felt the footpeg move or something. Maybe the previous owner didn't maintain it?

First off, wherever you go...dont sit on any of the bikes. Even if it is one your going to purchase. You will not be able to ride any of the bikes with stock suspension. It will bottom-out with you just sitting on it, let alone actually riding. Immediately send it out for a revalve, there are TONS of companies in the aftermarket that can do this for you.

I reccomend the Honda XR650R. Precision Concepts has a lot of experience with these bikes' suspension setups and does them for Baja Champions Steve Hangefeld and Johnny Campbell...so you know your getting top-quality stuff. Your definitely going to need the very stiffest springs they have. Dont let your size stop you from riding, though.

Yeah agreed they are powerful.... They have more power than most ppl need. But if this guy bent the spokes on a XR650 without even riding it, imagine what that would do to a light-weight crf450? It would bend the frame if he landed a jump..

The 525 may not be a bad choice but I do not know much about the KTM's..

I still say go with the Quad.. Quads are made for situations like this and if your wanting one PM me Il sell you my z400 thats modded.The yfz450 is still the best thing you could do in my vision right now..

Well I found a Yamaha PW80 in the paper and just got back from looking at it. It was WAY to small but I figured what the heck so I rode it around the guys backyard. I tried jumping it but when I landed I heard a loud CRACK! So I ditched the bike ran back to the truck and got out of there quick! What is a CR500? Theres one in the paper but its a little to far away to go look at it without knowing what it is. Anyone got any input on this bike? Theres also a DRZ125L,a YZ85 and an LC640 in the paper,Im going to call about the 640,it sounds like a big bike.

Later,

rundown