Sign in to follow this  

making old look new 1980 xr500

Found me a 1980 xr500 in decent shape with some of the problems a 25 year old bike is gonna have. I want to do a little make over, but finding it hard to get parts that old looking any better. Does anybody know of a site(besides ebay) to get some replacement parts (fenders, side covers, parts, ect.) Can the plastic be painted with any luck? Any help would be great!

For my '79 XR500, I got fenders from Dennis Kirk. Got the "universal" front & rear fenders from UFO. Both of 'em were somewhere around $50, shipping included, if I recall correctly. The color matches Honda's Tahitian Red fairly well (to an old color blind Goober like myself, anyway....). The rear fender required some "trimming" with a hacksaw & knife. They've got gasket sets, brake shoes, sprockets, some cables listed, and a few other misc. items... Here's a link for their "Off road" catalog page:

http://www.denniskirk.com/jsp/product_catalog/Category.jsp?catId=1&store=Main

They did send me a nice thick paper catalog after I ordered from 'em. Bear in mind they don't have oodles & oodles of stuff for our old iron. A lot of the things I need fall under the "Universal=work-at-getting-it-adapted" category....

My seat cover came from www.thexrshop.com . Can't recall the price; most of this stuff was "smuggled" in over & above my usual discretionary income.....

Here's a link to kind of a crummy photo with the fenders/seat cover:

http://community.webshots.com/photo/459716268/459753368cdURUK

For most other stuff you mentioned (side panels, & etc.), probably a bike salvage, maybe Craig's List, ebay, or word of mouth might get ya some stuff. Mostly, if yours was like mine, it's gonna take a lotta sanding/polishing, paint, time, & cubic dollars.

Your xr is taking shape great! Is that a different front wheel? 23'' or 21'' Just wondering if I could change to a 21'' without to much trouble. Thanks for ypour help. Glenn

Hey, Glenn!!!

Glenn, thanks for the compliment! I'm getting a little stuff done on the bike, but at a slightly slower rate...... Been off work for almost a month (on strike), so not much money for the bike 🤣 But, I'm getting a Clarke plastic tank tomorrow, and hope to get the material for my side panels within a week or so..... :applause: Will take another pic then.....

The front wheel I now have on the bike is a 21". There's not a lot of really good choices for 23" tires out there, but I've read that there are tires available for them. You'll need either a complete 21" front wheel (easiest way to do this, most likely), or a rim & spokes for the smaller rim. A good friend gave me the gold anodized 21 front rim. My spoke kit came from Buchanan's Spoke & Rim. That kit set me back around $85 🤣 , shipping included, but the spokes are thicker, stainless steel, & etc..

I hope this helps ya some, Glenn. Just be patient, ask litsa questions, and don't be afraid to get a little greasy.... :banghead: