Sign in to follow this  

02 YZ250F hard starting

I just picked up a 02 yz250f, and i'm having a hard time starting it. have to kick it alot. any ideas? The valves have just been ajusted. I'm new to the 4 strokes. Thank you! :banghead:

I've got the '03 auto decompression cam in mine, but aren't you supposed to pull the lever to get it to TDC, then release the lever and kick? Check out www.ThumperFaq.com tons of info, and there's a starting drill on there that will help you out.

One important thing is to keep the throttle all the way closed, or very near to it, and absolutely avoid pumping the throttle as you kick, the way so many two-stroke guys do. Grab the throttle housing with half your hand if you can't stop yourself from doing that. Getting your idle mix and speed right helps a lot, too.

Put your bike in a warm environment. Do you have a manual compression release, if yes and you think you flooded your YZ try this. Pull in and hold down your compression release and kick through 10-12 times. Try starting again with no choke and hot start pushed in. If it still does not start try the same sequence again this with the hot start out. Last resort to clear out a flooded cylinder, pull in and hold down your compression release and turn your throttle wide open and kick 12-14 times, this should clear out your flooded cylinder. Kick again with no choke or hot start, if it still does not start, replace the plug. Cold starting with a fresh plug I would try kicking with the choke on 4-5 kicks, nothing happens, push choke in, no hot start and keep kicking. I've had success using one or a combination all of these hard starting techniques. Hope this helps.

My 02 had its days of rebellion, until I got an 03 cam,an Icat and a power Now. It started first or second kick after that.

If your valves are good(in spec), then your jetting could be the problem, adjust your fuel screw, you could be lean, also since you just bought it, find out what jets are installed. Good luck.

I bring it to tdc then pull the release, then kick

Your kidding right?

You pull the comp release only to get it to TDC then you release the comp release and kick with full compression.

You need to learn the drill or get an 03 ex. cam.