looking for used 4-wheeler.. which one??

hey everybody.. well today a friend brought a little kawasaki bayou 250 to ride with me some. before we took off i asked if i could take it for a little spin, and he said sure. i was only going to take one trip around my woods(5-6 mins), but i found my self doing laps after laps and loving it, and it got me thinking that theyre really fun.. i know im going to be really hated on this site now because not only do i ride a yz125, but i also now like riding quads. now if i got one it would just be taken out on days its too muddy, or cold to ride my bike, so its certainly never going to replace my yz. but im stuck between the racing quads and the utility quads. ive never ridden a race quad, but i know theyre balls out fast, because ive ridden with some people that have them. i ride mostly trails, but occasionally fields and fire roads. i know it seems like the obvious answer is utility quad, but im not going to be poking around on the trails.. ill be rippin it up just like on the yz. are there any very reliable race quads that could be sold used and still be in good shape.. i know the 01 raptor had the tranny problem.. really liked the banshees, but couldn't find one used that i liked. i dont want something with every mod possible because then i know more then likely its been ridden hard :banghead:

so basically i want something that i can take out on the extremely muddy, or cold day (2-3 months during winter) and ride around but still fly, neighbor has a 400ex that rips... that may be cool also :applause:

yeah its about time someone said quads are fun!

Depends what you want man... Sport.....?

Best thing yet to me is a Suzuki Z400. Just because it has reverse and picks up very nicely with a few normal mods.. Smoothest and most comforatable quad ive owned and also one of the best Neck-Snappers' also.

400ex, deffinalty not a bad choice at all. Great bike and its bulletproof.

Kfx400, Dvx400, and LTZ 400 are all the same and made by suzuki but the companys use suzuki's parts.

DO NOT get a yamaha quad.. Past experiences, nothing but problems and a waste of time.

No.. The engines that are put into quads off dirtbikes are more beef'd up to handle whatever abuse you can throw at them.

Don't get a blaster.. WAY too small.. Slow also.

Also about your banshee thinking above, Dont get a 2 stroke quad if you go into trails.. They suck...

4 stroke is the way to go here.

Well from what it sounds like youre going to want to get an ATV with fourwheel drive. If youre going to be riding in mud youre going to love it when you can crawl through it in 4wheel drive. Also if youre going to be riding in cold weather youre going to want something with good splash protection as to keep you dry and warm. I dont know why you would want a sport quad when you have a dirt bike. But the newer wolverines from yamaha might be the perfect thing for you. They are a 350cc 4stroke 4x4 sport 4 wheeler. It has 4wheel drive but it also has a more race inspired motor with more agressive suspension. For a good budget sport 4wheeler I would look at a blaster (they can be make very fast with little money) or a suzuki lt250. Friend picked up one of those that had new everything in it pretty much for $800.

You guys are all missing the point.. This guy wants something fast and still be able to go in mud with. Not a utility.

STAY AWAY FROM WOLVERINES! That is the most unreliable quad made besides the blaster.

If you are riding in trails even the smallest bit you guys are really not getting this right. I mean Drztony, Quadzilla? Yeah they are awesome but would you want to be caught up in trails with a 500cc 2smoke?

The raptor sucks in trails its too top- heavy and feels like your going to flip the whole time.. Plus my z smokes raptors and handles great while doing that!

If I was you it would have to be KFX,DVX,LTZ,or the Ex. 400cc is the perfect size.

Yeah my z has gotten stuck before but getting unstuck is all the more fun. Of course I got pissed and Put ITP - Mudlights all around on mine which made a huge improvement

About the banshee.. This guy does not need a twin cylinder shee for trails and mud. Anyone who takes a banshee to go trail riding and mudding is an idiot.

Get a Suzuki Z400. They are great all around sport four-wheelers. And they are pretty fast too. You can't go over much rough terrain with a sport ATV though. The Z400s only have about 4 inches of ground clearance under the back axle. Don't plan on getting through any deep ruts with a sport ATV, or deep mud. The fact that they are only two-wheel drive kills them in the mud because of the lack of traction. If your trails have any deep mud, or are very rutted, go with a four-wheel drive utility. They are still fun. I prefer riding the utilities over the sports.

Guys, alot of you know alot about dirt bikes but are a little off on quads, which I'm sure you don't care either way. Seriously for a reliable, fast, trail bike, a 400ex would be really good, or even better a Z400.

Let me add this though, Blaster's aren't unreliable, not anymore than any other twostroke. If you port and pipe them, the power will be similar to a 400, not better just similar. A Banshee probably is too much for trails, but if you mod it for lowend power, it'd be fine.

Another cheap, decently fast, reliable, etc. quad is the 300ex.

Really most of these quads at best will be as quick as the 125 more than likely, but that's the way it is.

so far i've ridden a worked blaster and an ex250 on the trails. the blaster sucked, period. the amount of time getting it un-stuck or trying to start it was too much for me....

the ex250 was alright, not 4 wheel drive, but was slow compared to my 125...

stay away from the blaster, slow and unreliable...

so far i've ridden a worked blaster and an ex250 on the trails. the blaster sucked, period. the amount of time getting it un-stuck or trying to start it was too much for me....

the ex250 was alright, not 4 wheel drive, but was slow compared to my 125...

stay away from the blaster, slow and unreliable...

Being a worked blaster, what did it have on it? I had a 93 blaster that was bored out to about 240cc with stock pipe and it still hauled. You said that it was too much for you to get a little 300 pound atv unstuck so do you think a heavier atv will be any better? Also you said it was hard starting it? I took no more than 3 kicks for mine to start so that makes me think the one you rode was on its last leg. Are you talking abou the 250ex, if so those are really slow. They share the same motor as the recon with some hop up parts installed. Another good trail quad is yamah warrior. They are kinda heavy and not the fastest but they last forever.

i have a polaris scrambler 500 4x4 with a clutch kit as well as many other mods.

it'll stand up very easy.ive no regrets buying this and am amazed at what it can go through.ive gotten stuck but once but,so did everyone else i was with.there was just no pleasing that peticulair mud hole...

as luck would have it,its up for sale.check it out here...http://www.paatving.com/forums/messageview.cfm?catid=9&threadid=19322

the scrambler is a sport/utility quad.best of both worlds.fast,nimble andvery fun to ride.even if you dont buy mine....check out the scrambler.

Being a worked blaster, what did it have on it? I had a 93 blaster that was bored out to about 240cc with stock pipe and it still hauled. You said that it was too much for you to get a little 300 pound atv unstuck so do you think a heavier atv will be any better? Also you said it was hard starting it? I took no more than 3 kicks for mine to start so that makes me think the one you rode was on its last leg. Are you talking abou the 250ex, if so those are really slow. They share the same motor as the recon with some hop up parts installed. Another good trail quad is yamah warrior. They are kinda heavy and not the fastest but they last forever.

240 kit, pipe, sil, suspension mods,and i believe some carb modification. it wasnt my quad, i dont know all of the mods on it....yes, it was too much for me to get a little 300 pound atv unstuck. it shouldnt have gotten stuck in the first place...

yeah, im talking about the 250ex, and yeah, it was really slow