Sign in to follow this  

New '85 XL250R Owner

Picked up an '85 XL250R today, appears to be in great shape mechanically and cosmetically, paid $650. A previous owner strippped most road equipment (speedo cluster, lights, etc), and I'd like to replace it to get it street-legal again.

Also looking for any general suggestions on this bike, am new to all of this.

Thanks!

Adam

hey bro, thats one of my favs. I have one too. I doubt anyone else here can say that. feel free to email me if you need any tips and I may can find some parts you need. Ive had mine for over ten years and 25,000mi

sportmoto1(AT)yahoo.com

Todd

oh, almost forgot... for starters, run one step colder spark plug than stock with it because heat can be an issue if you ride WOT for long periods (street) they also ran lean jetting you may want to richen it up some too, just try to keep it cool and it will last. I use an XRs Only thermometer dipstick so I can just look down and see the oil temp. I also added an oil cooler from a late model XR250R, my engine is no longer stock (far from that) and I ride it really hard.

Nice old bike..I bought an 82 xr250 from a friend for 200.00 it had been leaning up a fence in his back yard for years. I made sure it had oil and some fresh gas and it started on the fourth kick. Those old hondas are bullit-proof. Yours looks a lot better .

my 87 xl250r will start easy if i bump start it, but rerely starts when i kick it. it also runs bad for 5-7 miles and then runs good and sometimes reverts to running bad. could it be the pulse generator is failing?

don hull

What is the oil flow path you created? I have an 85 XR200 that overheats all the time so this oil cooler looks like the answer! Did you put in the two holes?