Sign in to follow this  

two problems dr 350 1995

I have a 1995 dr 350es , it has been sitting for about 8 months in the shed . anyway I changed the oil and drained the gas also the battery . It started up , but I have two major problems . Number one when you put it into gear it stalls , it will only start with neutral light on , not with the clutch pulled back . number two it will run at idle fine , when you try to rev it up it will spudder , but you can get it to rev . Then it will run excessivly hot , so hot that the front of the exhaust pipe will get cherry red . I took the carb. off and cleaned out and it does the same thing . Any ideas of where i can start to solve these problems ? thanks Tinman2 :banghead:

I am not sure about the rest but the first one may be the side stand switch.If the side stand is own when you try to put into gear it will cut out. If the stand is up then the switch may be broken so may be worth a check.

Try the kickstand switch for the starting problem(as stated above). As for the pipe glowing red, the bike is way too lean. You will need to change the jets in the carb. I would subjest a DynoJet kit, and a new air filter.

the stand switch was one problem , thanks . the other problem is too lean ?

where do you start, to find the right jet or the right air / fuel mixture ?

my dr650 did the same thing after setting, sludge and deposits from the stagnant oil are making your clutch plates not release. change the oil and ride the beast and the shifting and clutch problems probably will get better. It worked for me anyway. I can't answer the carb problem, without knowing what jets are in there.