Straightening Alloy Bars...Bad Idea?

I'm guessing that putting these in a vice and trying to straighten them is a bad idea, because even if I can get them back to shape they will be too weak afterward.

Yes/no?

I crashed pretty hard today, but somehow only suffered a few scrapes and bruises. I lofted the front wheel while crossing a small stream bed, and the back wheel slipped out from under me on the slippery baseball-size rocks.

Man oh man I hate that feeling of the bike folding up while it's stood up on the back wheel!

:banghead:

chops12.jpg

Maybe you could bend the other side to match and then you would not risk them becoming weaker on the other side.

So, if you were on a three day ride and they bent on the first day I would say bend them back. If you were at your house asking the questions, I would say replace them and consider some fat bars or at least some Renthal bars. They seem to handle the abuse pretty good.

H

Maybe you could bend the other side to match and then you would not risk them becoming weaker on the other side.

So, if you were on a three day ride and they bent on the first day I would say bend them back. If you were at your house asking the questions, I would say replace them and consider some fat bars or at least some Renthal bars. They seem to handle the abuse pretty good.

H

Well, that's "thinking outside the box" at least.

If you bend them replace them.

Consider the potential injuries you'd sustain next time you grab some air, and the right hand side of the bar snaps upon landing, hammering you and your bike into the floor.

Now weigh up the cost of a broken wrist, lost riding time, and the time off work vs. the cost of a set of bars.

For what they cost, you'd be stupid to not replace them.

I have a set of MSR RM bend high bars on the way!

I figured I'd use the crash and damaged bars as an excuse to try a hi-rise bar, since I'm tall and find I hunch too much while standing on the pegs. Which is pretty much all the time up here on the rocky trails we ride.