Sign in to follow this  

Battery draining

Bought 2004 DRZ400S from joplin 3 weeks ago. :banghead: They had it for 1 yr and couldnt sell. G ot a great deal on it but now the fun starts. It runs fine except that the battery keeps draining, took battery to get tested, said it was fine that bike had short. Anyone had this problem. :applause:

Probably not a direct short. That would blow fuses or burn wires. Start by putting a light bulb between the battery and the ground wire. If no light, that is good and you can move on to using an amp meter to look for current leakage. Start with the 10 amp scale. If less than .1 amp, switch to the mA scale. You are looking to confirm less then 1 mA current leakage. If more than 1 mA you will have to start disconnecting wires until you find the source of the drain. I would take a look at the battery again. If it has been sitting around for a year serviced and ready to go, it is probably not as good as they say it is. Do the current leakage test and if that is OK, it is probably the battery. You will also want to check charge voltage. 14 to 14.5 Volts at the battery, engine running approx 3000 rpm. 13.5 to 14 is marginal OK, less then 13.5 is not OK

Battery testers are not always accurate.

My first response would be to replace the battery. I would go here.

http://www.batterystuff.com/itemdetails.php?bId=541?f=Westco_Motorcycle_ATV_Battery

If you do not want to replace it then I would charge the battery, put it in the bike see if it cranks, take it out and let it set for the length of time it normally takes it to drain in the bike.

Put it back in and see if it cranks.

Also I just bumped a battery discussion post back to the top.

Check it out.

-

I bought new battery as soon as i got it. The battery they had was shot and they took $100 off purchase price. I put charger on battery yesterday from 8 am to 6 pm. It sat in garage overnight and when i got home today at 4:30 pm it wouldn't start. F-Word. :banghead: so i took it to local shop to let them figure it out. Thank god for warranty. I'll let you know what they say. Thanks :applause:

I bought new battery as soon as i got it. The battery they had was shot and they took $100 off purchase price. I put charger on battery yesterday from 8 am to 6 pm. It sat in garage overnight and when i got home today at 4:30 pm it wouldn't start. F-Word. :banghead: so i took it to local shop to let them figure it out. Thank god for warranty. I'll let you know what they say. Thanks :applause:

Sounds to me like you bought a bad battery.

-

I have a 2001 DRZ-400S. The battery seems to die all the time. I have already bought 2 new batteries and I think I am going for a third. I think there is something odd about these batteries. No kick starter is crazy. Thank God you can jump start these bikes.

I measure the current drain when the bike is off and it seemed fine (just a few milliamps). I am going to order a new bat (maybe a lead acid or something different (any suggestions?) I am also going to go through the trouble shooting steps and free power mod. (PS: Some batteries have a high self discharge rate could this be the issue?) Now that Kawasaki sells this bike have they changed the charging system or battery type?

I also recently bought a used DRZ. No battery problems until I installed a speedometer (there was none on the bike as it was broken) I intalled it yesterday and now after starting once, battery was almost dead. Also there are two wires on the speedometer, one blue and one white connector. I cannot find where the white connector goes. Anyone know?

I installed a trickle charger and will see how that works but I am concerned that the wire not connected could be the problem.

I also recently bought a used DRZ. No battery problems until I installed a speedometer (there was none on the bike as it was broken) I intalled it yesterday and now after starting once, battery was almost dead. Also there are two wires on the speedometer, one blue and one white connector. I cannot find where the white connector goes. Anyone know?

I installed a trickle charger and will see how that works but I am concerned that the wire not connected could be the problem.

The white connector is for an optional remote trip meter reset button. That isn't your problem.

Thanks, no one has been able to tell me that.

You never asked here before :busted:

Use an amp meter, find out what your key off amp draw is...

Understand the battery in a DRZ E start motor is small.. and just capable enough when all the conditions are set. Both the motorcycle and battery manufacture recommend keeping the battery on a charger when not in use for just this reason. When all things are perfect.. battery condition, wiring and wiring connections, ambient temperatures mild, motor tune dead on.. When everything is right you can go weeks without charging the batter, either with the stator or an external maintenance charger.. But start dropping any of the perfect conditions, and your battery survival rate goes down.

Thanks for the information. I was aware of the need for trickle charging and had just bought one last week. It is on and battery is fully charged. I had read about how this was needed but had the bike for two weeks and no problems. I was curious if the Speedometer is the main culpret for battery drain since I had no issues until I plugged it in. Seems like it would have been better to go with a mechanical Speedo if it causes battery drain. How is the Vapor as far as current use? I do not have access to an Amp meter at the present time to test for drain with power off.

The speedometer has constant "keep alive" power from the red wire. Yes it is a drain on the battery, about 1 mA or less. So it is half the problem but still very small. The 2 known drains are the instruments and the regulator rectifier (RR) for a total of about 1.5 mA. Most of the power to the instruments is from the orange wire that is turned on and off with the key switch.

There is a procedure for testing and finding excess current drain in FAQ under electrical troubleshooting.