Sign in to follow this  

Supermoto 525 to a 576 kit...Reliability??

I'm looking at buying a Supermoto 525 with a 576 kit (raced at the A go-go at Vegas in 03), engine rebuilt since, what's the reliability factor of the engine vs. stock. I know with added horsepower comes maintenance. Anyone have experience with bigbore kits?

It's basically a "factory" race bike.

Thanks!

doesn't it have larger cooling jackets on the cylinder? I think the reliability should be fine. Especially on the asphalt as you don't need to rev the bike so much.

One of the local shops put together one of these for an A class supermoto racer(brand new 525smc) And he ended up pulling the crank out of face. Took out the mains and trashed the crank journals. Not to say that it's an unreliable unit, but if you are riding on pavement get the slipper clutch. Pavement is brutal on cranks and trannys. I do believe KTM was going to warranty it, they were looking in to it the last time I talked to the mech. I have a 525sx and even after hearing about that I am still considering it when I have to rebuild, not that I am capable of using all the power that a 525 has already, but I am a torque junky. :banghead:

I put the TR 570 kit in mine which is 554cc but it does not have a stroker crank, all bore. They take your cylinder and resleeve it with a 99mm piston. The kit runs strong is super smoothe and has been very reliable. My neighbor did the 576 kit with the stroker crank and I like the TR kit better, the TR kit revs as good as stock while the 576 kit is a little slower revving. The TR kit is about 600 with everything done which is way cheaper.