Sign in to follow this  

Did the AMA ever punish/acknowledge Alessi/Tedesco

In that issue of Cyclenews, I would swear that an AMA official was quoted as saying, "yeah something funny happened where Alessi's handlebars ended up in Tedesco's front wheel and it sure is hard to pick your bike up with someone else standing on it." Nice official comment.

Prior to receiving this issue I read at Cyclenews.com that the AMA was looking into this issue.

Mike Alessi had a clear path to his own bike that did not include Tedesco's handlebars, let alone stading on his front wheel. I don't care that Mike be punished all that much but the AMA should at least acknowledge what happened and that such antics will not be tolerated in the future.

Here is the link to the Cyclenews article.

http://www.cyclenews.com/ShowStory.asp?HeadlineID=8236

Does anyone know if anymore has transpired?

Greg

I haven't heard of anything happening. I think the MXdN has distracted the AMA for now.

Now that the MXDN has been wrapped up by Team USA I expect to see something by the end of the week. :banghead:

It should not have taken more than 2 days to figure out some kind of penalty. This makes the AMA look really BAD, IMO. Rules are in place, use them.

seriously the AMA need to penalize Alessi AND Walker

Walker does need to be punished but he was trying to help Tedesco right? I don't mean any dirty team tactics, but rather another rider was physically impeding Tedesco's ability to get back on his bike. If Alessi had just returned to his own bike, Walker would certainly have just ridden by. In other words, I think actions of Alessi brought about Matt Walkers action.

I say the formal punishment should be a DQ for Alessi. True it would have no effect in the last race where he earned no points, but had it been round 1 and he won, it would hurt pretty bad. The second offense, revoke his license for the rest of the season. Professional Tennis has a policy of punishing players for two years for your first offense and for number two it is a lifetime ban. That is harsh but only if you screw up. I hope SX/MX holds itself to a high standard.

Greg

seriously the AMA need to penalize Alessi AND Walker

After seeing the full race on TV, I think Walker should only get the small penalty for riding backwards a short distance on the track. From the TV angle (different from the home video version we were all looking at before the TV show finally aired), it's much more obvious that Walker rode up, stopped away from Alessi, watched for about 5 seconds, and then finally got off and tried to gently pull him off of Langston's front tire. From the home video angle, it looked like Walker wailed on Alessi as soon as he rode up. Much better angle on TV. :banghead:

I agree, the TV angle sure presented what Walker did in a much better light. However, he did deliberately ride the wrong way on the track. Rules are rules - that's what the AMA should go for, not "well, we like him better" or "we don't want to punish him since he brings so much press/money".

As for Alessi - I just want that punk banned! (not gonna happen, but hey, one can wish!)

It should not have taken more than 2 days to figure out some kind of penalty. This makes the AMA look really BAD, IMO. Rules are in place, use them.

You mean, makes them look bad again.

After seeing the full race on TV, I think Walker should only get the small penalty for riding backwards a short distance on the track. From the TV angle (different from the home video version we were all looking at before the TV show finally aired), it's much more obvious that Walker rode up, stopped away from Alessi, watched for about 5 seconds, and then finally got off and tried to gently pull him off of Langston's front tire. From the home video angle, it looked like Walker wailed on Alessi as soon as he rode up. Much better angle on TV. :banghead:

He was standing on Tadesco's front wheel, not Langston's. :applause:

He was standing on Tadesco's front wheel, not Langston's. :banghead:

Mike Alessi could have used that information too!

That's not Langston's bike I'm standing on??? Dooouuuuhhhh!

In the TV version, Walker doesn't look like he did much.

Good thing we have the Zebruter (sp?) film of MX races.

Good thing we have the Zebruter (sp?) film of MX races.

:applause:🤣🤣🤣🤣

Good one! This place cracks me up! :banghead:

He was standing on Tadesco's front wheel, not Langston's. :applause:

Oopsies. Those 125 guys all look alike to me. :banghead:

"The Zapruder Film".

Alessi's already paying a price...also........

This just in:

Jeff Alessi to receive "Support" from KTM in '06!

The following is a release from the AMA -

AMA Pro Racing announced today that Mike Alessi and Matt Walker have both been penalized for their on-track actions at the final round of the AMA Motocross Championship, Sunday, Sept. 11 at Glen Helen raceway in San Bernardino.

According to AMA Pro Racing SX/MX Series Manager, Steve Whitelock, for his role in an incident involving Ivan Tedesco, Alessi has been fined $5,000, has been disqualified from the meet, and becomes ineligible for the AMA Pro Racing Rookie of the Year Award. Additionally, Alessi will receive a 12-month probation which includes the 2006 AMA Supercross and AMA Motocross seasons. Alessi’s disqualification drops him from second to third in the overall championship standings.

Matt Walker has been reprimanded and fined $2,500 for his actions which occurred after the incident between Alessi and Tedesco. Additionally, Walker is disqualified from moto two and will receive a 12-month probation which includes the 2006 AMA Supercross and AMA Motocross seasons. Walker’s disqualification results in no change to his overall championship standing of ninth.

Tedesco will not be penalized.

“This entire situation is unfortunate and entirely unacceptable,” commented Whitelock. “Mike Alessi’s actions after he and Ivan Tedesco came together in moto two are clearly outside the boundaries of acceptable sportsmanship and will not be tolerated by AMA Pro Racing. Additionally, Matt Walker’s actions are inexcusable.”

Whitelock said the decision to penalize the riders came after careful review of videotape, still photographs, accounts by AMA Pro Racing officials who witnessed the incident and statements from the riders. The delay in assessing the penalties is due to a couple of factors including the fact that AMA officials were attending the Motocross of Nations in France and the need to communicate with the involved riders each of whom had to be located. Busy post-season schedules by all involved made that process more complicated than usual.

Whitelock cited the following rule violations from the AMA Motocross Rulebook when levying the penalties “Page 38, General Offenses and Penalties, i, Engaging in any unfair practice, misbehavior or action detrimental to the sport of motorcycling in general, whether or not related to a specific competition. q, Riding at any time in such a manner as to endanger the life and limb of other riders, officials or the public, and w, Any other act or actions deemed by a Series Manager or AMA Pro Racing to be detrimental to the sport of motorcycle racing and the AMA.

“Fortunately, we have ample video footage as well as still photo sequences that showed this episode,” said Whitelock. “We examined the entire situation carefully and arrived at our decision.”

Each rider has been informed of his penalties. Under AMA Pro Racing rules each rider has the right to appeal.

Wow, that was a pretty appropriate response by the AMA, IMO. Glad it didn't hurt Walker's standings in the series too. :banghead: