Sign in to follow this  

Big (weight) guys on a DRZ400? Anyone not Happy with thier SM?

I have been trying to decide what I want for a new dual sport/street tard/offroad bike and have gone around and around from a 400SM, 4000S, 400E, WR400/425/450, XR400/600/650, MZ BP'sect. My decision has been some what held back by the fact used bikes are slim around here, very fuel dual sports, mostly MX or offroaders like E's, XR's, YZ and WR's. I have even been scouring ebay and cycletrader for bikes with in 200 miles and not really found anything outside a few 650L's, KLX's and a few old NX250. The local dealer just got in an old XR500/600 (actual CC YTBD) that would be a nice cheap ride, but one thing that is holding me back is lack of aftermarket parts for it compared to a XR400 or DRZ. I have a TW200, which unless I decide to move to Japan is slim pickens on parts which is tuff for someone like me who is a modder at heart. On the 400 side I have some concerns due to my size. I am fat middle aged guy that has ate one to many pizzas, and drank way to much MT Dew in college, right now I'm 275-280, but and trying to cut 20 or so. I have some concers that due to my size the little 400 will huff both power and suspension wise. I know both could be added. On the other had since I am not so nimble I do like the feeling of a light bike off road vs a bigger 600. I have a DL650, and while great on the road I don't think I would be to comfertable on something of similar weight off road, I could handle it but I would probably get wore out from fighting it.

I just want something to toss around, have fun on, get a little nuts but still be incontrol, something to take down to the work parking lot on weekends and play around, maybe jump a curb or too, you know be a hooligan. I get a taste of this with my TW200, it has an FMF PC4 and a 44T rear sproket, so it cackles which puts a big fat grin on my face. But it seriosly lacks in the power and break department, to the point that while road legal since it nether gets to 40 or slows back 0 quick it feels a tad dangerous on the street. Also on the suspension side even fire roads with ruts bottom out the rear, but I expect that after all it is just a TW200.

Ok so with all that babbling I am wonder if there are any other big guys out there riding 400's and how you have fared. Also has anyone that has or had an SM disapointed?

I am really thinking about pulling the trigger on a 400SM Tuesday. May even trade in the TW200 on it or just sell it out right. I love my TW but I think I have out grown it. While I would love to toss a few grand at it putting street tires, disc front brake, new gauges, turn signals, TTR or XT 225 motor ect, I am starting to think that getting a 400SM and put the same into mods would make me much happier in the end and would have something that others would actually be interested in if I ever wanted to move on from it.

i'm not as heavy as you but( about 70 lbs less) i have no problems with mine at all.you will be disapointed with power in the begining but the more you ride it the better it gets.if your a modder at heart you will love this bike.it all ready comes with that big front brake to stop you and you can always respring it for your weight.(you would have to do that to any bike)and of course more power that easy too (just need lots of money)ya know for that big bore kit.although if you don't want to customize and call it yours just get the ktm 525 smr (don't really need any more power than that)when mine is done i will have spent less money than the ktm and it will go just as good.

btw- i did a 5th gear role on with an xr660 with a cam and slip on pipe today and i beat him.although mine is not stock either,he does have about 70 lbs on me in bike wieght

drz400sm,full yosh rs3 ex.3x3mod,dj kit.it :banghead: rips

It says you are from Iowa, so you will have to have a stock street legal dual sport like the SM or the S model to get it licensed. I am your weight and I own an S and it gets me where ever I need to go. I am older than dirt (41), so it is not something I do much more than street riding and trail riding. I don't do any large jumps and definitely not motocross, but that is because of my need to keep my job. Don't get me wrong, my bike has hit the ground hard quite a few times and the CFC case covers and the White Brothers skid plate have really saved my butt. Buy the SM if you want to do street only, but the S if you want both. Better tires if you are going to be doing a lot of dirt.

From what I have read on this site, the SM if you plan on mostly road riding. The S if wanting something road legal, but want to make something for mostly dirt. Though I think my S is really fine for the road too. I have to say that my S has been the best bike I have ever owned. I love the darn thing. Plenty of power for me. I think after I upgrade my suspension it will be just right.

Both my buddy and I hover between 260 and 280. He has a new KTM450EXC(not steetable) and I have a DRZ400S and just recently resprung it(2 weeks ago). I have a TW 200 too as luck would have it :banghead:

The DRZ has a linkage rear suspension where his KTM has the lighter direct link type. I've heard that linkage type bikes are less sensitive to harshness and bottoming when overloaded.

Even before the new springs my DRZ was passable and quite usable in the woods and on the road. Also - I was suprised at the power the engine made when I got on it - if the TW200 makes you smile....the DRZ will not dissapoint.

It's heavier than other bikes it competes with but by our weight standards - it's very little. :applause: We are only talking a few extra pounds or less depending on the bikes it's compared with and how much of a diet you put the DRZ on.

While I'm being a DRZ salesman I should point out it's cheaper to own/operated and ultra-reliable. I've got over 4000 Hard Miles on the DRZ (04' model) and it's never had a single problem.

Both my buddy and I hover between 260 and 280. He has a new KTM450EXC(not steetable) and I have a DRZ400S and just recently resprung it(2 weeks ago). I have a TW 200 too as luck would have it :banghead:

The DRZ has a linkage rear suspension where his KTM has the lighter direct link type. I've heard that linkage type bikes are less sensitive to harshness and bottoming when overloaded.

Even before the new springs my DRZ was passable and quite usable in the woods and on the road. Also - I was suprised at the power the engine made when I got on it - if the TW200 makes you smile....the DRZ will not dissapoint.

It's heavier than other bikes it competes with but by our weight standards - it's very little. :applause: We are only talking a few extra pounds or less depending on the bikes it's compared with and how much of a diet you put the DRZ on.

While I'm being a DRZ salesman I should point out it's cheaper to own/operated and ultra-reliable. I've got over 4000 Hard Miles on the DRZ (04' model) and it's never had a single problem.

i'm thinking on respringing my sm because they are a little soft if your over 180lbs.what size were the springs that you put on and what differences did you notice on an off rd.thanx

Thanks for the input all. I test rode a 400S a few weeks back, mostly on a highway due to location of dealer, not as powerful as my 650 but it did feel nice and light compared to my DL650.

I am still lightly torn between a S or an SM, but think I would be happy with either. They have an 06 S and a 05 SM. The are firm on the 06, but are willing to deal a little on the SM. Another dealer 20 miles away has an 05 Yellow S that I could get for 5300 OTD so I could go that route as well. I will probably just get the SM as I will probably only do light dirt until next spring.

I ended up with the heaviest ones they sell for the DRZ and have been impressed with the new feel. I can hit the whoops at 50mph and live now....

I actually have my race-sag properly set w/o cranking the preload all the way to max.

Got my 05 SM today, woot. Probably going to sell the TW200 to keep the wife happy but it will be worth it. No I just need to put a few miles on it so I can start modding it.

I admit it, I am a bit on the upside of 300 lbs. Big boy jokes go here (). I inherited my 05 SM from my wife, we bought it for her and she just didn't care for it that much. On the other hand, I absolutely love it. We had the seat done for her to lower the height a bit and made it wider for longer trips. I don't mind it at all. I can whip the bike around with no problems. We put AVON Distanza SM tires on it to help in gravel situations, they are still super sticky on the pavement. I have no complaints about the little bike, even if it is a little weak in the power department, it does not stop me from having a blast going to and from work. Between my wife and I we have 7 bikes. I choose the SM to ride daily before any of the others. It makes me smile on every ride.

Teddy

1998 VFR 800

2000 CBR929RR

2001 CR250R

2003 CRF230

1991 Suzuki Bandit GSF400

2005 DRZ400SM

1980 Maico 440

I admit it, I am a bit on the upside of 300 lbs. Big boy jokes go here (). I inherited my 05 SM from my wife, we bought it for her and she just didn't care for it that much. On the other hand, I absolutely love it. We had the seat done for her to lower the height a bit and made it wider for longer trips. I don't mind it at all. I can whip the bike around with no problems. We put AVON Distanza SM tires on it to help in gravel situations, they are still super sticky on the pavement. I have no complaints about the little bike, even if it is a little weak in the power department, it does not stop me from having a blast going to and from work. Between my wife and I we have 7 bikes. I choose the SM to ride daily before any of the others. It makes me smile on every ride.

Teddy

1998 VFR 800

2000 CBR929RR

2001 CR250R

2003 CRF230

1991 Suzuki Bandit GSF400

2005 DRZ400SM

1980 Maico 440

how good are the avons in the dirt.

Not to great and not to bad. They are a compromise to get a little better traction in the gravel roads. The front being so wide does tend to washout some in the soft stuff, to be expected. Very sticky on the pavement though.

Teddy. :banghead: