Sign in to follow this  

Helmets ...HJC ????

I currently have have a FOX (5/6yrs old) and was looking at the HJC about 150.00+/-.(dont remeber model #) Anyway, I was looking at this HJC and even the more $$ HJC hemets and the they seemed like POS!!!!! ARE THEY ???

I felt that I could brake it if I pushed it or I squessed enough.

I came back home and my fox flet much more stronger.

Your thoughts >>>>

im about to order a suomy helmet. after all the test they have to go through im pretty sure they are good helmets. they are a bit expensive but you can never pay too much for a helmet. (except TLD)

HJC a POS, hum, maybe when you are old enough to get a job and buy your own hemet then maybe you can ask the question. Until then be happy with what your dad will buy you. There are many different HJC helmets ranging from about 80 $$'s up to 250 $$'s. Which one will your dad buy for you?

HJC a POS, hum, maybe when you are old enough to get a job and buy your own hemet then maybe you can ask the question. Until then be happy with what your dad will buy you. There are many different HJC helmets ranging from about 80 $$'s up to 250 $$'s. Which one will your dad buy for you?

Sorry , Son was logged in. I am the Dad, Yes I can purchased whatever helmet $$$ can buy. HJC seems very popular these days, HOWEVER, I felt that it seemed like a POS(all models that the store had). I really felt I could brake them no problem...with my hands .

What I am asking are the the BEST ?? .Most shops in my area (TX) only have them these days.

Thanks

I HAVE AN HJC HIGHER END MODLE RERAILED FOR 235 BUT IS ON SALE FOR 125 ITS VERY NICE HELMET TO ME. SURE ITS NOT A 400+ HELMET AND YEAH YOU CAN PAY TO MUCH, THIS ONE IS AN AC/X2 STYLE AND HAS GOOD VENTS W/REMOVABLE INSIDE FOR CLEANING AND MY SON WEARS ONE JUST LIKE IT. LIGHT, GOOD LOOKING HELMET AND LOOKED AT A THOR HELMET MADE BY HJC BUT SAID THOR SO IT :banghead: COST MORE.

You probably will be surprised to find HJC and KBC make helmets for many of the desiger brands. Look closely and you'll see many helmets seem very similar on the inside and straps. No idea of the outer shell is made to specific specifications.

Arai has a great helmet if you want to spend the money.

Well, I wear an HJC as does everybody in my family. To be honest, I bought them them because they were the *MOST COMFORTABLE* for my head. I tried on all the high $$ helmets (One Ind, Troy Lee, Shoei) again last week and they still aren't as comfy as the HJC. I want to try on the higher end Bell helmets but haven't seen any around.

HJC seems to be good enough for Buyten, McElroy, and Aaron Yates, and Ben Spies all run them. When it comes to helmets, the most important thing is how it fits. A $100 helmet that is Snell/DOT approved and fits is better that a $700 helmet that doesn't fit right. Alot of helmets are a couple of hundred bucks worth of paint/graphics.

If you do a search you will see this topic covered with an attached article from one of the Bike Mags, :banghead: in the test they test helmets from $80 to $600 plus.

To sum it up, they found that the higher end helmets were very stiff on the impact test :applause: ..skull impacts the shell faster. The cheaper helmets because of the softer shell and thicker padding was actually better in the test

At the end of the day

#1 the helmet must be certified, SNELL, DOT etc this test is a must for all helmets and all brands.

#2 The helmet must fit properly, don't forget some break it and get a bit loose.

#3 Buy the best within your price range.

Last and most important, If you have a hard fall pull out the padding and check the foam for dents or impressions.

One dent makes your helmet a POS regardless if its $80 or $1000 dollars.

I have an HJC, second one actually. The first on saved my bean. Hydroplaning a puddle in a trail and found a rut in the other side that stopped my bike and threw me over the bars. I was doing 40mph at the time (so said my speedo). The bike drove me straight into the ground head first. I didn't bounce or skid, so all the energy was absorbed into one hit. Where I hit is where I stopped. Broke my collar bone and my helmet but not my head. I walked away with a moderate concusion. In my opinion it did exactly what it was suppose to.

Any helmet that can take a 40mph direct hit that you walk away from gets my vote for a great helmet.

I currently have have a FOX (5/6yrs old) and was looking at the HJC about 150.00+/-.(dont remeber model #) Anyway, I was looking at this HJC and even the more $$ HJC hemets and the they seemed like POS!!!!! ARE THEY ???

I felt that I could brake it if I pushed it or I squessed enough.

I came back home and my fox flet much more stronger.

Your thoughts >>>>

The helmets job is to flex or absorb shock.If the helmet is hard as a rock guess where the shock goes?? :banghead:

Here's a great thread about helmet safety from a local MX discussion forum. The bottom line is that even though a helmet passes Snell certification, there are certain helmets that do a significantly better job of passing. Those include Arai and Shoei. TLD is trying hard to do the same. Suomy has a different and very well thought out standard that they adhere to.

Take a look and draw your own conclusions.

http://www.norcalmotocross.com/snitz/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=809

I used to wear expensive Arai helmets for Street, Dirt and track days on my Gsxr 750.

After a few crashes and forking over $400.00 plus for new Arai's I looked into a cheaper helmet with all the good features. My conclusion was to try HJC. I love 'em. They fit well, offer all the same features as the big dollar helmets and have saved my head in accidents ranging from a 120mph high side at the track to bouncing off a rock at Paragon Adventure Park. All this for under $200.00 if you look for specials!!!!

Just my .02! :banghead:

I've been using HJC since 98 or so and have had a couple of good get offs. the helmets stayed intact and did their job. I'd say go for it. The price was also pretty reasonable about 150 or so.

I went with a HJC last year. I didn't really like the way my Shoei fit my head and I finally bought something at least fairly comfy. I kept the Shoei to use as a base for my helmet camera rig.

Three weeks ago I was doing some hot laps at a track in south Central Florida and woke up in the ambulance. I still don't know what happened but I do know that I landed on the back of my head and shoulders at the fastest section of the track. My HJC split open right across the Snell sticker. Now three weeks later my back and hip are still recovering from the crash. I think I can be back riding by mid October if I can get my frame straight.

After seeing the damage done to the helmet and knowing the level of whiplash I have had to endure after the crash I am very very happy with how that cheap helmet saved me from some scull damage.

--KT--

I have worn HJCs for the last few years. Yes, they are a bit softer than the 'elite' brands but pass the Snell tests just fine. I've read that the softer helmet actually absorbed the shock of impact better because it wasn't transmitted into your skull.

For me, the HJC fits me better than an Arai anyway.

Late last season I augered hard into some hardpack after being whacked by another rider at the end of a start chute. My HJC CL-X4 was destroyed (liner exploded & shell cracked) on impact. I didn't even have a concussion.

I replaced it with the exact same helmet. :banghead: