Sign in to follow this  

DRZ400E - Need info for picking mods

A couple of weeks ago I picked up an '03 DRZ400E for some off road riding, haven't been off road for over 20 years, and this bike is a total blast! I'm mainly doing trail riding but wouldn't exclude hitting an MX track a few times in the future just for fun. With winter coming up I figure its going to be time for some mods! :banghead:

Now from what I've read, by using the handy search feature :applause:, the following mods would be worthwhile for me.

- Hot cams stage 2 intake only (low-mid power increase)

- Yosh full system (maybe slip-on?)

- 3x3 mod w/ DJ jet kit

And the questions,

- Would just changing the jets and keeping the stock needle and spring be good or is the DJ kit the way to go?

- Are there any dyno charts showing the gains for the HC2 intake alone?

Thanks,

Steve

P.S. CFC case guards and TAG bars are already installed, rad. protection and handguards coming shortly.

You'll be suprised at what a difference jetting and a slip on make.

I can't comment on the DJ kit. I ordered a variety of jets and needles from Sudco.

I think the suspension is more of a limiting factor than the bikes power. I'd throw springs and valving at it before upping the power.

You can always get more acceleration by changing gearing. Front sprockets are like $10.

I believe the JD needle is what you want for your E...not the Dynojet kit. The dynojet kit is prefered for the S minkuni carb...and yes it is required.

You need to talk to burned. He will steer you in the right direction.

Your list looks like an intelligent route to increased power.

Hi Unabiker,

Which needle & jets from Sudco did you end up with?

I will definitely look at the suspension but not until my dirt riding abilities improve to a point where I can tell what I need. The gearing seems OK right now, don't really want to make it lower yet as first is already not really used but a little more low end grunt out of second would be very nice for the trails.

MutualBill,

Thanks ... I see that more clearly now, some have had success with the 'E' DJ kit but most seem happy with the JD or another needle.

Steve

I'd skip the slip on and save for a full system, either muzzy or yosh. The jd kit is the one for the fcr definately. Hot cams stage 2 exhaust doesn't drop much if any low end and more than makes up for it in the middle and top, besides it is much more fun with both in and ex.

canblue.

Right now, I'm at a 157 main, 45 primary, 200 a.j., and EMM needle. Snorkel removed with a White Bros slip-on at about 200' above sea level.

Your jettage may vary. A full system will want a bigger main, but higher altitude may dictate a smaller main.

bought a 2003 drz about 3 mos.ago.about the only good thing about it is the

electric start.the screwing around to get the carb right is a pain in the a--.

i am 70 years old & just do a lot of tight woods riding & therefore rely on engine braking,an idle that will return consistently,no hesitation.that stupid air adjustment is a nightmare.going out wed.with new changes.hope for the best.rode my dr350 for 10 yrs.&never one problem.i think the jap engineers

are still po'd about hiroshimo.

keep the shiny side up

sprint-98

bought a 2003 drz about 3 mos.ago.about the only good thing about it is the

electric start.the screwing around to get the carb right is a pain in the a--.

i am 70 years old & just do a lot of tight woods riding & therefore rely on engine braking,an idle that will return consistently,no hesitation.that stupid air adjustment is a nightmare.going out wed.with new changes.hope for the best.rode my dr350 for 10 yrs.&never one problem.i think the jap engineers

are still po'd about hiroshimo.

keep the shiny side up

sprint-98

Have you bothered to jet it for your area?

First of all make the bike fit you. Good bar bend and height. and then proper springs for your weight If looking for more motor try a full system The yosh. or muzzy are good. Personally I have a Muzzy w/ the quiet core and it was a big improvement in my opinion. Also the JD jet kit and removing the lid to the airbox helped. Also installed hotcams in and out and it certainly helped! Listen to 10 guy Burned and Bronco. thieve been down this street.

Thanks for the info everyone! :banghead:

Guess I'll start searching for a deal on an exhaust, wonder if I could make my R1 yosh fit... (j/k)

Unless someone here has one they want to get rid of cheap :applause:

Steve

muzzy or yosh? ss or ti? 01 drz400k,..what about jets? anybody ever put a cooling fan from an 's' on a 'k', I got one on e-bay,just checking to see if it's ever been tried.

No need for the fan that I've found.

For off road I'd go either muzzy or yosh stainless, for supermoto/street I'd go with the yosh ti.

For the K you want a james dean jet kit, as to what jetting you should ask burned.

FYI - A majority of what you read here on the forum applys to the S model. The S model is detuned quite a bit from the factory.

the E and kicker already have the FCR carb, larger stock exhaust header pipe , better cams and No need to cut the airbox! just remove the snorkel as noted.

FYI - A majority of what you read here on the forum applys to the S model. The S model is detuned quite a bit from the factory.

the E and kicker already have the FCR carb, larger stock exhaust header pipe , better cams and No need to cut the airbox! just remove the snorkel as noted.

Wow,, really?

So what your saying is the stock E cams are as good as the Hot CAM stage 2's and thus not an improvement?

And the stock E exhaust system is as good as a Yosh or Muzzy SS system?

I think I know what you ment,,, but, what you posted is misleading at best 👍

Yes the S will benefit more from the above mod's.. But both bikes will see improvement.

As they both will with correct jetting.

Bottom line.. Much of what you read here in this forum is applicable to both the E or S bikes.

Opps, forgot to answer the question...in my other post.

- Hot cams stage 2 intake only (low-mid power increase)

Yes

- Yosh full system (maybe slip-on?)

Yosh or Muzzy SS full system

- 3x3 mod w/ DJ jet kit

The James Dean kit (JD) is a much better choice for the DRZ E FCR39 carb.

And the questions,

- Would just changing the jets and keeping the stock needle and spring be good or is the DJ kit the way to go?

As stated above,, not the Dynajet (DJ),, but the James Dean (JD) kit is a better solution then what you can get from the OEM (EMM needle)

just wondering,is the muzzy ss full system have an oval canister,and is it a more compact type system say vs a yosh ss unit? also does anyone have some thoughts about the Sportcycle skid plate vs the Tonns type skid plate? how about igntion cover protection for a "K" Thank you !!!

The muzzy can is round

Can't compare the skid plates as I've only seen the tonn's once and never the other one. I do really like the wb I'm using though

Ignition protection for a K is get a set of cfc's and modify or just apply and then fill the small gap with the silicon adhesive used to glue the case savers on with