Bar options for xr650r?

Any handlebar, be it for dirt, street or mountain bike, will fit the stock triple clamp if it has a 7/8" OD at the clamping surface. If you purchase aftermarket clamps, you can order them to use 7/8" bars or 1 1/8" oversize bars (Pro Taper, etc.), but the clamps are cast into the stock triple clamp so they are restricted to regular bars.

In the desert, CR Hi or even CR double-Hi bars work well, as they give much more room for standing than most other bars. For brand and type, at 7/8" you can run either steel bars (similar to stock) or aluminum (much stronger) with the latter costing ~$20-$40 more. Renthal offers a good bar, and Pro Taper has stepped up recently with a similar bar that costs less (~$55). At 1 1/8", you can run Pro Taper originals, any other 1 1/8" non-crossbar bar, or Renthal Twinwalls/Azonic Doublewalls. The difference between the Pro Taper originals and every other non-crossbar bar is that they offer more flex on large hits and cost ~$90. Most other 1 1/8" bars run $70 and up, including the Renthal Fatbar and Pro Taper contour bar. Lastly, there are double-walled bars from Renthal or Azonic that are stiffer than the previous two bars (due in part to a crossbar the others lack), but are extremely resistant to bending. Renthal even offered a garauntee against bending on their Twinwall bar for a short time, but the freestyle guys made short work of it. :banghead:

Oh, and then there's those FasstCo Flex Bars. If you've got $300 burning a hole in your pocket, they might be worth the look.

I recently bought oversize Pro Tapers in a CR Hi bend and bought the adapter kit to work with the stock triple clamp. I am very happy with the riding position and look. Total cost was around $100.00

where did you buy yours at? and do you have any pics of your bar set-up?

I like the Ricky Carmechiel bend. A little taller then the CR high with less back sweep, giving more room for my knees. I have them in Renthal Fatty Bar.

Black680Red.JPG

I liked them too. Unfortunately, the store only had one in stock and a guy beat me to it. My stock bars were bent and needed replacement before my next ride.

thanks alot guys, that set-up looks awsome......very cool!!