Sign in to follow this  

Short Guy

Im 15 a bit over 5 feet im as tall as my dad so i dont think ill be getting any taller i wanna know how u guys well are able to get on those tall bikes like the 125s and 250s i mean i tried throwing a leg over a 125 the other day and i nearly fell over. So yeah how do u guys handle the tall bikes?

I'm 5' 5" and I ride a CRF 450 with no problems. you get used to it after a while and learn to manage your weight. It's not uncommon for me to out ride my taller friends. height really isn't that big of a factor as long you can touch with one foot.

Tadesco is a short guy too....he was able to make the more pricey adjustments to his bike like haveing a custom short sub-frame built. He also has his bar mounts farther back to compensate for his short arms.

If your only 5ft you probably don't weigh enough for the springs that are in the bike. A set of softer springs for your weight, front and back, the forks pushed up a bit and the rear sag set correctly should make the bike lower automatically. You can also shave the seat foam. I got 1 1/2 inches out of my seat when I shaved it. I have a CRF250R.

there's a huge difference between 5' and 5'5". for mx, short guys do fine (look at RC), but in serious off-road being short can be a real handicap. things you can do:

1) look at bikes with low seat height, like ktm.

2) consider lowering the suspension 1-2". you'll still have tons of suspension, and being as light as you hopefully are, you don't need as much as a 250 lb lardbutt.

3) consider shaving the seat slightly, or altering the subframe to lower the bike even further, without affecting the suspension.

4) learn to ride really really well so you don't need to ever put a foot down :banghead:

mw