Sign in to follow this  

Is XR400 right for me?

I recently sold my bike and would like to get something within the next year.I live in southern Ca, and I mostly ride desert and Gorman.I guess you could say I prefer fast, winding, rugged trails, with small-medium whoops,uneven terrain, with the occasional small jump and hillclimbs.I won't be riding a track.I want something with a headlight, and something reliable, and a wider tranny.I am 5'5" and 120 lbs.I have had a YZ250F and a CRF250X, but no longer have them.My question is, even though I'm small and light, will the XR400's suspension be able to handle fast trails that have small whooped out sections, and prove to have enough power and fun for me?How will the handling be compared to my previous bikes and how will the bikes compare overall to my previous?What do you recommend?Thanks.

If your gonna be riding Dez then you may want to add a stage2 hotcam to it. I think you would find it may become a bit unstable in the desert due to its short wheel base- Some one else may want to verify that.

For your wieght the suspension would be good, if not too hard. And you will find the 400 will have around the same power as the 250x, imho.

The XR will feel HUGE compared to your last bikes. I went riding with a girlfriend of mine at El Mirage this weekend, me on the XR4, her on her new WR450F and it felt like a bicycle compared to the XR. If you're a little guy, you might want to find something smaller, like the WR450 or one of the KTMs. As for power, he WR didn't have much more power than the XR, granted mine is uncorked and her WR is still running the stock pipe etc, but I haven't found myself lacking power in the des.

As for the suspension, if it's set up correctly (that's an important "if") it can handle just about anything the desert can throw at it. I wouldn't reccomend any big SX type jumps, but it'll handle whoops and rocks ok.

XR400 aren't unstable at higher speed unless there is something wrong with the suspension. They are very nimble on tight trails, too. Just adjust it to fit you and maybe look into a steering damper.

Where you ride is not the same as stating what you want in a bike. What matters most to you? Power, handling, weight, reliability, longevity, cost to own/operate, ease of maintenance? Every bike involves trade offs in these and other categories. As others have said, an xr400 will be very different from your prior bikes. Heavier and with less snap. But it will handle better in tight terrain and have more bottom end power. Sure, an XR can do anything in the hands of a capable rider, but that does not mean it is a high performance bike, at least not IMHO. Myself and most XR owners seem to like XRs mostly for their reliability, excellent trail manners and ease of maintenance. I'm 5'9" 170 and prefer the xr250 over the xr400 in all terrain except open desert.

R

I am 5'8" and 150 pounds. XR400 is a top heavy bike, I ride the same places you ride like Gorman and the mountain trails of Los Padres National Forest. Unless you are going at a moderate speed and faster you will really feel the weight of this bike. For me the pros of reliability, low end power and low maintenance outweights the cons of being top heavy and dated technology.

For somebody coming from a 250x, this XR400 will wear you down really fast in LPNF. I would not advise you in getting an XR400 unless you are willing to learn to ride all over again.

Borrow one and try climbing East Frazier Trail (120), if you can make it to the top with no problems and it doesn't wore you down then go get one.

Honda XR400 (modified 440) :banghead:

The xr400 weighs less than a wr450. Im 5'10 160 pounds and feel the xr400 to be a nice bike. I dont know if Im in good shape or the rest of you guys are wimps. LOL Its not really that heavy of a bike... I would think the xr400 would be a far better bike in the desert than a 250f. If you want the best desert bike made. Check out the xr650r. My brother has a xr650r with a couple mods and it makes a 450 feel like a toy in the power department and while it weighs a lot on paper it doesnt feel heavy in real life due to it carring the weight low. The xr400 wont have the snap of your other bikes but it will make up for it in the grunt department.

The xr400 weighs less than a wr450. Im 5'10 160 pounds and feel the xr400 to be a nice bike. I dont know if Im in good shape or the rest of you guys are wimps. LOL Its not really that heavy of a bike... I would think the xr400 would be a far better bike in the desert than a 250f. If you want the best desert bike made. Check out the xr650r. My brother has a xr650r with a couple mods and it makes a 450 feel like a toy in the power department and while it weighs a lot on paper it doesnt feel heavy in real life due to it carring the weight low. The xr400 wont have the snap of your other bikes but it will make up for it in the grunt department.

Los Padres National Forest has single track mountain trails that is 6 inch wide, you can't go really fast uphill or downhill specially when it is rocky, at this point the top heavy features of XR400 will be very evident. For desert terrain, it would make XR400 the bike of the year over and over again.

I recently sold my bike and would like to get something within the next year.I live in southern Ca, and I mostly ride desert and Gorman.I guess you could say I prefer fast, winding, rugged trails, with small-medium whoops,uneven terrain, with the occasional small jump and hillclimbs.I won't be riding a track.I want something with a headlight, and something reliable, and a wider tranny.I am 5'5" and 120 lbs.I have had a YZ250F and a CRF250X, but no longer have them.My question is, even though I'm small and light, will the XR400's suspension be able to handle fast trails that have small whooped out sections, and prove to have enough power and fun for me?How will the handling be compared to my previous bikes and how will the bikes compare overall to my previous?What do you recommend?Thanks.

Why did you sell the CRF250X? Many XR400 riders have switched to that bike.

The XR400 is a big easy to ride tractor. Wrong gear, right gear, it just keeps on going.

I sold the CRF250X due to short valve life and that it lacked power.I know that the XR 400 lacks power, but it is reliable.

I am 5'8" and 150 pounds. XR400 is a top heavy bike, I ride the same places you ride like Gorman and the mountain trails of Los Padres National Forest. Unless you are going at a moderate speed and faster you will really feel the weight of this bike. For me the pros of reliability, low end power and low maintenance outweights the cons of being top heavy and dated technology.

For somebody coming from a 250x, this XR400 will wear you down really fast in LPNF. I would not advise you in getting an XR400 unless you are willing to learn to ride all over again.

Borrow one and try climbing East Frazier Trail (120), if you can make it to the top with no problems and it doesn't wore you down then go get one.

Honda XR400 (modified 440) :banghead:

funny story - I JUST DID THAT TRAIL LAST WEEKEND FOR THE FIRST TIME ON THE NEW BIKE (an '00)...and it DID wear me out @ the end of the day - but the bike DID push thru just about any gear (too low - too high) and i had a great time on it - it needs a few mods to smooth it out for me - but all in all im stoked on my purchase and cant mod it out...

drj

ps - i also have a YAMAHA XT350 dual sport - and the XR400r is actually about 30lbs lighter - but the weight of the XT is on the bottom...which is a bit more manageable?

(im 5'9 - 170lbs) and a virgo.

laters

I sold the CRF250X due to short valve life and that it lacked power.I know that the XR 400 lacks power, but it is reliable.

If you want a race horse, get the CRF450X.

If you want a trail horse, get the XR400.

I really think the XR400 has the easiest motor to ride in the world. If you want to go really fast, find something with a better suspension.

When it's time to modify the XR400, uncork it, then have the suspension valved and re-sprung. The best use of money on these bikes.

"Life is not about how many breaths you take, but how many times life takes your breath away."

well put.

drj

I'm not sure why you would get rid of a CRF250X and get an XR. I don't think that the XR compares to any of the newer generation bikes in terms of power weight or suspension. I certainly would not get an XR and then modify it to try an match the power of say a WRF450. I remember in the Dirt rider off road comparison a couple of years ago the XR had around 30hp where the WR had in the neighborhood of 47 uncorked, thats huge!! I had an opportunity to ride a 400EXC for about 6 months and it was more powerfull, thinner and had a better suspension. BUT...the maintanence was a pain, oil changes were more difficult and the valves were way tougher. The starter failed, fork seals failed, the kickstarter dissapeared one day, the clutch cable broke and it seemed to be geared a bit high. That being said, I love my XR400, it is an 03 with Gordon's Mods and I'll never give it up. It is perfect for riding in the tight rocky woods around here. The only issue I've ever had is it's going under water 2x. I'd love to do some suspension revalving and put some stiffer springs on. I'll never get rid of it, maybe I'd get a second bike though like some sort of smoker. But I'll never get rid of it.