Sign in to follow this  

Handguards for the Xr400R

What kind of handguards are you guys using on the xr400? I am looking for something that will mount on the stock clutch/brake perch if possible. my handlebar is stock with Scott Fusion II grips.

I doubt if many at all are using the stock type guards. They're way too flimsy. All they "might" be good for is roost protection for your hands if you race. Any serious trailriding in which you see trees, rocks and roots requires serious handguards/barkbusters of the aluminum type, to protect your hands, bars and levers.

We ride some of the tightest woods and have never had a problem with just the factory guards. I need them to keep the branches from hitting the front brake. I was thinking of maybe the MX Flag type to replace the factory ones. I mount my brake and clutch clamps with Teflon tape under them to give a little in a fall, no broken levers yet. :banghead:

We ride some of the tightest woods and have never had a problem with just the factory guards. I need them to keep the branches from hitting the front brake. I was thinking of maybe the MX Flag type to replace the factory ones. I mount my brake and clutch clamps with Teflon tape under them to give a little in a fall, no broken levers yet. :banghead:
My Cycra Pro Bends saved my left hand on Saturday. I was 4th gear about mid throttle down a wide dirt trail when all of a sudden I hit something with the left guard about midpoint on the guard. The 3 people behind me said it was a pretty spectacular high speed get off.

I turns out that a small tree had fallen at an angle towards the direction I was coming from and I hit the end of the tree. I never saw it until after the crash.

If I had not had stout metal bar bark busters, my left hand would have been destroyed. I don't ride tight woods without them.

I have stock on my XR400 and am more than happy with them. Acerbis makes perch mount guards. I've used them before and they work good. They cost about $30.

Neither of these perch mount but on the 250 I have the Moose guards and on the 400 I have Acerbis Rally Brush guards. I like the Moose guards better because they just look stronger although the Acerbis ones have survived several crashes and protected my hands and levers just fine.

FASTWAY MAKES SOME REALLY TRICK HANDGUARDS THAT MOUNT TO YOUR TOP BAR CLAMP BY REPLACING THE STOCK ONE WITH A BILLET PIECE AND THEN ATTACHING TO THE OUT SIDES OF THE BARS LIKE A NORMAL PAIR OF HANGUARDS :banghead:

i agree with trailryder42. Here's a picture of my Moose gaurds. Tough & cheap.

http://img156.imageshack.us/my.php?image=4a0ig.jpg

Mine are identical and are sweet. Mounting required a little torquing the barkbusters (Renthal CR Hi bars). Two buddies use Acerbis with the wider plastic wind guards on them and red is a great look. They cost twice as much as mine.