Taneum Creek newbie

Going to ride Taneum for the first time with some friends and was looking for some help from the TT group. What would be a good loop to take from the Taneum Jct. campgrounds. 2 or 3 choices? Try and ride/camp Friday-Monday. Most of us are intermediate riders no difficult stuff. No fancy bikes, just stock tanks. xr400's, crf's etc. I have a map of the Cle Elum ranger district. Printed out the list of Orv trails with the numbers from the web site. The only trail that I couldn't find info on difficulty was 1326. Looking at the map I could make a loop on 1326 to 1377. Around 30 miles? Or a smaller one 1377 to 1378 to 1363. Plus any suggestions on a loop at Manastash for a one day would be great. Thanks :banghead:

You might want to go to the Manashtash or Rider Camps instead as one of the trails out of Teanum Junction is closed for logging, 1377. A few extra miles of gravel road, but worth it if your wheels can handle it.

From eithier of those you can take 1350 to Lost lake and Manastash Lake, (a moderate trail), or better yet, 1386 Keenan Meadow (Easy} to 1385 Shoestring (Moderate) to 1386.1, Keenan Meadow continuation back to camp. Should be about a 10 mile loop of good intermediate ridiing. There are many more from there that loop back around that area.

There is a great web site for all this info, maps and directions at:

Cle Elum Trails

Enjoy.. Leroy

What are the ranges on your bikes, mileage wise? I could set you a few nice little loops or you could just tag along with our group. We plan on doing about 40-45 miles or so. Hey Nick, are you going to be there this Saturday? If you are wondering who Nick is, he is "Old Man Time" off this website, pretty much knows all the trails really good, too. I'll be in a Green Dodge pick up, should be there 9:30 or so.

Little Jeff

You can ride the 1377-1378-1363 loop no problem. 1377 is closed for logging west of Fish Hook Flats which is where westbound 1377 intersects with 1378. If you are intermediate riders, you should have little problem with either loop you selected. A couple tight switch backs, but very doable. I just rode those trails sunday. A bit dusty, especially 1326.

Called the Cle Elum Ranger Station this afternoon. They told me the campsite is still open just no services and the ban on campfires has been lifted. :banghead: The area that's getting logged is small triangle area on trail 1377 and 1377.2 and that there are trail detours. I asked him what kind on detour, on logging roads??? He was unsure just reading off the sheet that was available. The range of our bikes are average for stock, my crf 250 can do around 60 miles or more and my sisters crf230 40 for sure.

It's all doable and yes I plan on being at the junction. Just not sure which bike I am gonna take with me. My KDX over heats a little and I still have not bought a heavy duty radiator cap for it or the Evens coolant. The KX is a go and so is the 525.. Life is sweet on the East side. :banghead:

What are the ranges on your bikes, mileage wise? I could set you a few nice little loops or you could just tag along with our group. We plan on doing about 40-45 miles or so. Hey Nick, are you going to be there this Saturday? If you are wondering who Nick is, he is "Old Man Time" off this website, pretty much knows all the trails really good, too. I'll be in a Green Dodge pick up, should be there 9:30 or so.

Little Jeff

Are you guys going to be at Manastash at 9:30? Is the fastest way to Manstash through e-Burg?

Hey all!

Tawnya and I are kicking around the idea of checking out the Taneum for the first time this weekend also. We would be coming up with our trailer and both our bikes.

Who all is planning on camping at Taneum? Is this a trailer friendly campsite?

After you all go, let me know how it is. It is supposed to be wet this week, so I am curious if this is a good place to ride when it is wet. I havent been on that side of the pass yet... I want to go sooo badly. Waiting for parts on 450 to come in. I dont think they will be here in time to ride this weekend

So let me know how it is

Thanks

:banghead:

After you all go, let me know how it is. It is supposed to be wet this week, so I am curious if this is a good place to ride when it is wet. I havent been on that side of the pass yet... I want to go sooo badly. Waiting for parts on 450 to come in. I dont think they will be here in time to ride this weekend

So let me know how it is

Thanks

:banghead:

Saturday is supposed to be cloudy but no rain. If it does rain this time of year there is always a chance of snow up in the higher elevations. I would imagine that it is easier to ride our eastside trails in the rain than the Westside but maybe I'm wrong.

So far Carl and his friend Mike, Russ, myself, Glenn and his 2 boys, possibly Pard and his buddy Tom are going to be coming over from the west side, anybody else? Hey Nick, has it rained over there lately? I also put a IRC trials tire on my bike, curious to see how that works out.

Little Jeff :banghead:

So far Carl and his friend Mike, Russ, myself, Glenn and his 2 boys, possibly Pard and his buddy Tom are going to be coming over from the west side, anybody else? Hey Nick, has it rained over there lately? I also put a IRC trials tire on my bike, curious to see how that works out.

Little Jeff :banghead:

It is partially cloudy over here as I write this. The clouds do look like they have a little rain in them. In fact it looks like they may have dropped some rain over in the direction of Ellensberg/Taneum.

Rained to beat the band all day here on the Wet side. I'm pretty sure some of it had to make it over the mountains.

Hmmm, will this work? Try this link.

Radar picture

Looks like some pretty serious moisture to me! More tomorrow, then let's hope for some clearing for the weekend!

Nick, make sure to look us up. I have the Pewter Chevy truck with trailer and two blue bikes.

See ya all there! :banghead:

Today the riding at Taenum overall was pretty good, some places it was awesome. Ran through a couple of weather systems on the way to Windy Pass, snow, ice, wind. You name it, we went through it. Got a chance to try my new IRC trials tire out today. All's I can say "AWESOME!!" Tire just hooked up on everything. I think I will never put my knobby on again. When we got back, we ran into a fellow rider that came down the 1326 trail. All his buddies left him out in the woods, he got lost because his friends didn't wait for him at the next trail junction, nice friends, Huh? To top it off, he never had ridden there before and and came over from the West Nelson side. He was soaked, freezing and didn't know where he was or how to get back. Russ was kind enough to offer to take this guy home in Covington, good guy that Russ. Anyway, he got of hold of his buddies and ripped them a new one. Maybe next weekend, Russ and I will go ride at Gifford Pinchot, weather permitting. Thanks again for the ride guys and gals. It's always nice to meet new people to go riding with. If you want to go to GP next weekend with us, just PM me and we'll make arrangements.

Little Jeff