Sign in to follow this  

new XR250 owner with a couple Q's

I picked up a good condition xr250 1995.

I have removed the airbox snorkel and ground the welds down in the exhaust header. It also has a aftermarket filter and silencer (supertrapp).

Since I have removed the snorkel and ground the welds, should it need rejetting since it should now have better air flow?

Will I notice any additional power gains if I cut out the top of the air box to be more like a CR airbox allowing more air flow?

This winter I will either re-ringing it or boring if needed. I have seen posts where some people are resleeving and others are just boring it to get to 280cc. Is there a reason to resleeve it rather than just boring it?

This bike doesnt seem to like it when I try to fan the clutch, makes kind of like a tap-tap-tap/light thud-thud-thud. Is this likely a problem with the clutch or is this just the character of the bike?

Most people have found the 135/48 jetting works well with your mods at most normal altitudes. If you live in the stratosphere, you might post a specific question about high altitude jetting.

My bike does not make a "tap-tap-tap/light thud-thud-thud" noise when fanning the clutch.

The 77mm piston (277) does not require a resleeve. Some people recommend resleeving with the 78mm piston (284) but most say it works great with the stock sleeve. If I had to resleeve, I'd go 300. When you resleeve the XR250 it requires case machining and is a much more labor and money intensive upgrade.

I had a 95 XR250 that made a little noise when slipping the clutch, and a louder noise when popping the clutch. Not really a pop or thud noise. It worked fine,though.

Its An Xr Not A Motocross Bike Do You Notice When You "fan" The Clutch You Get A Warm Sensation In You're Thighs, The Bike Isn't Supposed To Be Clutched It Tears The Tranny And The Clutch Up Also Burning The Motor Oil Since It Uses All Of It For Everything. I've Got An 2001 Xr250 And Just Letting The Clutch Out Too Many Times Starting And Stopping Makes It Do This If You're Riding Put It In Gear And Don't Touch The Clutch.

Its An Xr Not A Motocross Bike Do You Notice When You "fan" The Clutch You Get A Warm Sensation In You're Thighs, The Bike Isn't Supposed To Be Clutched It Tears The Tranny And The Clutch Up Also Burning The Motor Oil Since It Uses All Of It For Everything. I've Got An 2001 Xr250 And Just Letting The Clutch Out Too Many Times Starting And Stopping Makes It Do This If You're Riding Put It In Gear And Don't Touch The Clutch.
My clutch is in constant motion a good part of the time when I'm riding. Fanning, feathering, shifting, whatever. I cannot imagine NOT using the clutch in the woods.

DANIEL EARLS

Reading some of your other posts, looks like you are probably more of a bullsh*tter than a rider.

If you dont use the clutch when you ride you must just be riding flat gravel roads.

If you have ridden any amount of bikes in your life, you would realize that the smaller the HP of the bike the more you will need to use the clutch.

DANIEL EARLS

Reading some of your other posts, looks like you are probably more of a bullsh*tter than a rider.

If you dont use the clutch when you ride you must just be riding flat gravel roads.

If you have ridden any amount of bikes in your life, you would realize that the smaller the HP of the bike the more you will need to use the clutch.

Maybe he isn't a fast rider? I know I use my clutch a lot.

Its An Xr Not A Motocross Bike Do You Notice When You "fan" The Clutch You Get A Warm Sensation In between You're Thighs,

When JSANFILIPPO get sensations between his thighs its because hes prolly gettin teased by some female :banghead:

The Bike Isn't Supposed To Be Clutched It Tears The Tranny And The Clutch Up Also Burning The Motor Oil Since It Uses All Of It For Everything. I've Got An 2001 Xr250 And Just Letting The Clutch Out Too Many Times Starting And Stopping Makes It Do This If You're Riding Put It In Gear And Don't Touch The Clutch.

Sure you can work the clutch on a bike the shares motor and tranny oil!!! Just do what JSANFILIPPO does and change the oil more frequently! :applause:

DANIEL EARLS

:banghead::applause:🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣:busted:

Maybe he isn't a fast rider? I know I use my clutch a lot.
Its not that he's a slow rider, hes just very VERY cautious

If You Guys (term Used Loosely) Are Fanning The Clutch Ur Not Using The Full Throttle Travel Thats Why They Have Rev Limiters

If You Guys (term Used Loosely) Are Fanning The Clutch Ur Not Using The Full Throttle Travel Thats Why They Have Rev Limiters

If you riders (term used loosely) don't fan the clutch on a small bore 4 stroke goin up a steep hill ur gonna fall over half way up :banghead:

Whatever floats your boat. I know that when riding my xr250 I have to work the clutch more than my 400exc. Nowhere near as much as a two stroke, but a fair amount. The small motor can lose RPM quickly without a jab on the clutch.

R

You might try adding another disc or 2. I kept less in there to keep low end. You'll probably want more in for riding MI. You'll also probably end up re-jetting.