Sign in to follow this  

Track day report: Summit Point, Shenandoad Circuit (with next track day info)

Warning - long and rambling post follows.....

Only about 9 bikes showed up to Friday's track day at Summit Point's Shenandoah Circuit. Most of the sessions were 45 minutes long, they just let you go on and off of the track as you please. I put in a LOT of laps, I'm guessing around 60, filled the tank twice, definitely got my $150 worth. My front tire is now pretty much gone.

As far as road courses go, this one is just about perfect for a supermoto. I was the only streetbike there, and only one guy on a GSX-R1000 could beat me, everyone else was a snack for the KTM. Top speed at start/finish was only about 105, and there was another downhill section where I hit 5th so that was probably just as fast. Most turns were 2nd gear, some foot down, some knee out, for those of you coming from roadracing this is definitely the track for you. There was even a bowled section that they opened up in the afternoon, it was fun to wheelie out of, kinda like a concrete berm. Lots of elevation changes, a 250 supermoto might have a hard time but my 625 SMC pulled like a champ.

Coming onto the front straight, I actually drafted past a Buell XB9R!! Once I pulled out of his draft and got next to him, I couldn't pull away but he couldn't either, and I had the inside line so the pass stuck. We talked about it afterwards and we were both surprised that a single cylinder 625 is as fast as a 900cc (air cooled, Harley based) twin.

The EBC pads are fantastic! Ditch your stock pads now, go directly to your dealer and order EBC FA244HH front pads and EBC MXS205 rear pads. I can now stoppie at will, power and feel are about a bazillion times better than stock.

I definitely need to learn to ride the back tire more. I tend to punish the front going into turns instead of sliding the rear in, so my back tire looks fine but the front has erasers pulling off the sides. I need to get to a true supermoto track and follow other riders and work on sliding it into turns, definitely something to work on.

There is another track day on Friday, Oct 7. I can't make this one, but if you go you will love the track. That is the Friday before a CCS race so there will be more bikes there, so more snacks for the supermoto's. Runoff wasn't great but the turns were slow, the only somewhat sketchy runoff was turn 1 after start/finish, you downshift two gears and its a constant radius right where the runoff goes down a hill and there is a wall. Every other turn is fine, at least to me, there might not be a world of runoff but the speeds are slow.

Here is an email I got from Roger Lyle about the 10/7 track day if anyone is interested:

Friday October 7 (before CCS) is the new date for Roger Lyle's Motorcycle Excitement Track Day at Summit Point Motorsports Park in West Virginia. Racers and sport bike riders are welcome to the new Shenandoah circuit. Riders can test and tune their bikes with hours of quality track time complete with instructors, cornerworkers and a staffed ambulance. Legendary starter, "Airborne" Al Wilcox will be flagging this event. Get an advantage on your competition and come out and learn this new track with 17 turns, uphills, downhills, 2 sets of esses and 5 straightaways! All day for only $150! This is the MOST track time and FUN for your money! The Shenandoah circuit has showers, electricity, restrooms, and camping in the paddock. Racers and riders who have ridden the new track love it for the smooth, grippy asphalt, and the many challenges that the layout has to offer. For more info and sign-up form please e-mail rogerlyle@erols.com or call 301-933-2599. Ride safe and have fun!

Yea, I've been avoiding that track like a plauge with my '05 Gix1000 but on a motard it doesn't look bad

That reminds me, I spoke to Roger Lyle and he said that he could do a supermoto-only track day if I had about 15 people. He even said that they are considering adding a dirt section, probably off of the main straight.

Anyone interested? I doubt they could put this together this year, at least not with the dirt section, but maybe next year?

How far from the Poconos are you? I just picked up my smc last week, and was thinking of trying a track day at Englishtown this year. Post a website or something with more info. I'd be interested.

Thanks

Pls keep us posted on the SM track days at Summit, will rebuilding my XR SM over winter but definitely need and want to participate in a track day such as this and at Summit. 105 mph wont melt my motor together.

Tks

How far from the Poconos are you? I just picked up my smc last week, and was thinking of trying a track day at Englishtown this year. Post a website or something with more info. I'd be interested.

Thanks

FWIW - E-Town has 7 supermotard dates (5 races and 2 practice days) scheduled for this year.

3/26 - practice

4/8 - race #1

7/9 - race #2

7/29 - practice

8/12 - race #3

10/21 - race #4

11/11 - race #5

I for one am loking forward to it. 👍👍

njracer