Sign in to follow this  

DRZ E VS DL1000 V-Strom

Hi gang, been a while since I stopped by.

My 2k 400e was street legal and I moved back to the Denver side of the hill. Everything dirt that was close by was over ridden or shut down and I found myself ridding more on the street and thinking about Super Motto.

My valves were sinking fast and the seat sucked but the fun factor was there so I traded off the 400E for SV650S.

Boy what a blast, but my 53 year old body couldn't seem to adapt to the ridding position for long periods. I did the Heli bars to raise the grip and that helped a lot. The seat was better but still sucked and I found myself driving by some dirt roads that I new had some great fishing spots.

So after 9 months of a crotch rocket I ounce again decided to make a change. Of course Suzuki was my first consideration and I finaly found a DL650 to test ride and fell in love.

You think the 400's are pigs you should try one of these things on single track. "NOT". :banghead: I had really come to like the smooth power of the V-twin crotch rocket and ounce you got the DL650 moving it felt light and nimble. So, I decided to make an offer. Big mistake, changing your mind on a new bike after 9 months.

Bend over and grab your ankles........

Then I got the idea I might want to try the DL1000 V-Strom just for comparison. It was a bit heavier but the power was unreal so I took the plunge and figured at least I could hit a few dirt roads and fire trails.

Anyhow, I am wishing I had just kept the DRZ400 for traily stuff and I would definitley buy the DL 1000 for all day ridding. It is unreal to be hiting speeds above 100 and then next thing be going down a washboard dirt road off in the trees. Kinda makes my head spin just thinking about it.

I really struggled over what to do and I remember how ridding the DRZ on anything but 2 lane back roads got real tireing and even with the gel seat it was bad. It was always a blast to scream threw the twistie mountain roads. It was just boring on the way there.

The STROM is a real heavy pig but the fuel injection and comfy seat is really nice. If you know the trail I spose you could do some light single track but I wouldn't be trying wheelies and mudd would be another NO No.

A Dual Sport definatley sacrifices the best qualites of a dirt bike and a street bike but I guess the older I get the less it matters. I just like to throw my fishing stuff in a tank bag and head out in the morning without a plan or destination and see what happens.

I miss you dirt bags though. The Strom forum is a lot less active and interesting.

God Bless

Have a safe Ride

EZGZ

Thanks for remembering me !!! :banghead: I wondered if you guys were still around?

I am doing real good and at least I managed to keep my job but this moving around is ruff when you have as many toys as I do.

When I heard they were going to quite making the Lightning trucks I went down and traded my Black 99 for a new Charcoal 04 Lightning and am really happy with it. They made a lot of changes from 99 to 04 and I think they were all improvements.

The 01's were a great year to but you want to keep an eye on those spark plugs. If you start changing pulley's to up the boost they blow the plugs right out of the heads. For some reason Ford only put 4 threads in those heads. They added more in 03 I believe. Seems that a lot come loose on stock engines around 40k miles.

I did two major trips in the 04 this year pulling a 5,000lb toy hauler to the dunes in California and then up to Idaho taking the Strom in a second trailer behind that (Ball to Ball) I took it easy and got 10 MPG. It is so easy to spin those tires even with the trailer on. :applause:

I feel pretty spoiled having the new Lightning and a new V-Strom.

lol,ive already been modding mine.

4lb lower,aux idler,cold air intake,diablo predator.ive got tranny goodies on the way.

went 390hp/490 tq on dynopro's dyno about 2 hours ago.

im all over the spark plug deal.changed plugs (to close down gap for the boost) and inspect the threads.mine were good.

if i have any issues i will buy a JLP long block.

hehehe

As usual when it comes to wrenching your on the inside track. :banghead:

These trucks are sooooooooo Fun and when your haulin a dirt bike you double that.

Only gripe i have is that it is such a nice interior I hate to use seat covers and am always worried if my clothes have dirt or grease on them.

Enjoy it to the max Eddy