Sign in to follow this  

why is this 80 so gutless!!!!????

My sons 01 xr80 has no power at all it seems. Seriously I've read almost every post on here about them, but I'm having a few problems.

I pulled the snorkel, opened the airbox, moved needle to 4th spot, can't do anything to the exhaust (end is welded shut) or do I cut it off, remove baffle, then re-weld? Seems like you have to have the bike wide open or it will just peter out on you up the slightest inclines.

What can I do? Carb clean, did. Air Filter Clean, did. Plug check, did.

:banghead: Rev that sombitch! It has NO power down low. Pick up those RPM's & it'll rip.

After all, it is an 80. :applause: Piston is alittle bigger than your thumb.

Hes probably shift early. Like the above post. REV it up. I can pick up quick speed in my XR80.

It's an 80cc thumper. It will be gutless no matter what you do.

The little xr's are like tractors slow and built like a tank in destrucktable.

It's hard to downshift from 1st!!!! I know it's only an 80 but our 50 will pull better. Anyway guess i'll just keep her wound tight.

1st is pretty much useless. The ratio is somewhere around 3:1. You need to pin it and don't shut off for anything (except for puppies and trees). But yeah, the 80 is slow.

My son has a 01 too and what i have done is install a white brothers pipe that i bought new off ebay for 150.00,drill holes in the airbox with a holesaw,installed a k/n air filter and played with the pilot jet a little. these changes made a big difference,little sucker goes pretty good with me on it and i'm 6.1 and 175lbs!!

I have my boys 03 on the 5th clip. idled up just a tad and adjusted the air screw to about 1 1/2 turns out I uncorked the exhaust and opend the top of the air box. the removed ALL the mesh screen from be hind the foam on the filter.

Instant 3rd gear roll on wheelies. I've got a bunch of jets on order to dink with that a bit. I'm also gonna go UP 2 teeth on the rear to make it accelerate quicker. It has a really heavy flywheel that makes it rev kinda slow.

but as far as power...for a kid, it has plenty, you just gotta hunt for it.

I have a 1982 XR-80, and i was dissapointed about how crappy it pulled through the gears and stuff, so i went form a 14 tooth front sprocket to a 13 tooth front sprocket, and it pulls real quick and i only lost about 3-4 mph on top speed. i also run 93 octane in mine, it helps it alot better. i also drilled the airbox. i took the baffle out of mine too. mine runs great to be a little bike. i can ride twelve o clock wheelies in 3rd gear if i get my timing right.( timing with leaning back and getting on the throttle)

How do you remove the baffle on a 82 xr80 i cant do it on my 80 model. and to slide the back bracks when doing 12 o clock wheelies

How do you remove the baffle on my 01 xr80 for that matter? Do you have to do a chop and weld job?

on mine the baffle was just a smaller inner circle inside my muffler. it was like a circle inside a circle, with a wall going from the inner circle to the inside of the muffler can. i just grabbe a screwdriver. rested it against the wall, and hit it hard with a screwdriver. i just busted out the wall all the way around the baffle. this separated it from the muffler, so the i clamped it with a pair of Vise-grips and ripped it out.it may be ghetto, but my baffle is out aint it?

well i see that you also ride a wr250... if your jumping off that bike onto the little 80 then its going to feel gutless, do you think its lost power, or the kid.

whenever i just on my old ttr, it feels much slower, but if i ask my brother if something is wrong with it he says its fine

well i see that you also ride a wr250... if your jumping off that bike onto the little 80 then its going to feel gutless, do you think its lost power, or the kid.

whenever i just on my old ttr, it feels much slower, but if i ask my brother if something is wrong with it he says its fine

I've put that into consideration. I don't ride the 80 except when I'm just checking it out from my son and wife riding it, so I've never expected it to hold a candle to my wr. I believe it has been this way since the beginning, and I find it hard to believe that this bike feels motorless below 3/4 throttle. I can accept it if it's true (which it seems to be), I just hate to. I'm going to do some work on it this weekend and see if I can't get it to sprout some wings!

I took a die grinder to the weld between the sparky and the inner portion of the exhaust outlet. once it was ot I opened it up and cleaned it up to look good. I then took the outlet nozzle and the sparky and rewelded em to a new flange that can be bolted back in between the outlet and the can. that way I'm still forrestry legal when we arent at the track.