Sign in to follow this  

CRF230 push-pull throttle cable

off-road.com did a 5 part series on hopping up the CRF230F. It's laid out quite well and even has a bunch of photos to help with each step. However, I did wonder about one thing. The first time they went into the carb, they said to disconnect and remove the "push" side of the dual cable. I don't know why they would recommend that and feel that it's there for a purpose. I realize that the carb uses the throttle drum spring to help hold the slide down and prevent it from bouncing over rough ground, but is that enough? Honda has been using these push-pull throttle cables on their bikes for many years and I always thought they were just a safety function.

Has anyone removed the "push" cable?

Cheers,

Mac

It's actually a Push Push throttle cable. One pulls it open, the other pulls it shut.

Maybe you would take one out to make it snap back faster? No clue...

It's actually a Push Push throttle cable. One pulls it open, the other pulls it shut.

Maybe you would take one out to make it snap back faster? No clue...

Don't do that on a 4-stroke. There are two cables to keep the slide from being stuck open by vacuum (bad thing...). Its likely rare but thats why the manufacturers use a push/pull system on 4-strokes.

Don't do that on a 4-stroke. There are two cables to keep the slide from being stuck open by vacuum (bad thing...). Its likely rare but thats why the manufacturers use a push/pull system on 4-strokes.
Here are some comments I made on this very topic in the CRF250X/R forum:

----------------------------------------------------

Everyone is entitled to his/her own opinion.

But, as my friends know, I seldom do mods based on opinion. I test and evaluate and then decide on what gets put on the bike and what doesn't. I don't do something because Team Honda, or anyone else, does or doesn't.

I'll do anything, within reason, to make it easy on me to ride my bike:

Lower the bike - short legs, lowering makes me faster and safer,

Power up (270 kit) - more power means I can lug it more and avoid wheelspin,

Remove side number plates - narrower bike is easier to handle,

Remove push cable - makes the throttle easier to operate, and I gain fine-motor control for technical trail riding.

I've spent over 20 years testing the push cable removal mod. Yes, I've removed the push cable from every XR I've owned since the early 80s (and a KLX), and it has never caused a problem.

The original thread is here: Finally did it...single cable throttle.

So, read about, think about it, then act.......or not. It's mechanical common sense, with a little bit of R&D for good measure. See also:CRF230F info

My 230's throttle isn't any harder to operate than other single cable throttled bikes I've swung a leg over.