Sign in to follow this  

Case Cover Dented--What to Do?

OK, this is one is going to win the noobie of the day award.

My girlfriend and I are both novice riders (me even more than her). We just bought a couple of DRZ 400S's and before she even got to ride it, she dropped it on the cluthc side (the left side), denting the case. We have CFC covers coming later this week, but my question is this...Is a small dent there a problem? I just wanted to make sure that there wasn't anything in there that was moving that would be impeded and damage the engine.

My thought is this...assuming it's not cracked and leaking just leave it and put the cover over it. Good call???

no leak = no problem. keep an eye on it though :-)

You could pop the cover off and gently pound the dent out before putting cfc's on if you want but it's probably not worth worrying about. I'm sure others will chime in.

As a quick check do the following.

With the engine running in neutral put your hand or fingertips on the clutch cover, and then pull the clutch lever right back to the bars.

If you have dented the cover enough to be a problem you will feel something hitting the cover as you pull the lever in.

I think you should be fine, as the cover is quite fragile and I would expect it to crack before it moves that far.

And welcome to TT, the only forum you will need for your DRZ.

Oh and read this .

Neil. :banghead::applause:🤣

NEXT TIME I'LL READ IT PROPERLY.

I just saw "clutch side" and assumed the clutch cover was dented.

SORRY.

I wouldn't try to do anything with it if it is not leaking, especially pop it back out. If you do you run the risk of it developing leaks then.

I second 10guy. If it isn't leaking or hitting anything, don't touch it. Just put more silicone over it. The more you work metal, the more you weaken it. Brittle metal is going to crack if you work it.

If you'd like a half a tube of the silicone, PM me a mailing address. I have about half a tube left over after installing mine. Mine is BLACK color silicone. I'm talking a caulking gun size tube. I'd rather see it used than get hard sitting around with a nail stuck in the end. Should be plenty to do two bikes.

magnesium is light but very brittle, that is why I made that recommendation.

The clutch lever is on the left side, but the left side of the case covers the alternator, the clutch cover is on the right. My '03 came with a dent in the left side from the gearshift lever. I glued the CFC cover over it and it's been fine for several months now.

"If it ain't broke".....

If I read this right, she dropped it on the "Clutch LEVER" side (Ignition-side); therefore....

Run it and see if anything inside "Sounds" like it's "Rubbing"....

I can't imagine the cases denting deep-enuff to do "Internal" damage without having CRACKED first.

I'll bet you're right, it is the left side. I didn't read close enough I guess.

Still doesn't change my advice of "if it isn't leaking don't mess with it". Other than install a set of cfc's asap :banghead:

Welcome man! You'll love this forum :banghead:

Girlfriend with dr-z is one of my dreams! :applause:

Hey everyone...Thanks for all of the good advice. It looks like it isn't leaking and doesn't seem to be rubbing anything inside. I lowered the seat for her just a hair, which I think will help too. She's got long legs :banghead: , but it was still a little high, which I think was part of why the bike got dropped.

Anyway...looking forward to getting those covers this week!!! Also ordered Unibike (I think) rad covers, and a Tonn's skid plate. Will be adding some other fun stuff along the way to get this bike ready for some (semi) serious adventure riding!!! 🤣

I've been lurking here for a couple weeks and no doubt, a fantastic resource. Thanks for all the good advice. :applause: