Sign in to follow this  

Gear for my wife--help

My wife has decided that she does actually like to ride. I have her playing and learning on the xr80 right now. She has no gear, beside a helmet and some gloves. Question is what do the other women riders here suggest. Any companies that cater to women's line or brands to stay away from.

Note: She also had her first launch over the handlebars into the wet muddy field. This sped up her decision that I was indeed correct that "you need some more protection before you ride!"

Thanks

even tho my temporary-parttime-gf is fairly petite, (or maybe because she's petite) she likes the acerbis chick's chest protector. we were able to find elbow and knee pads in small sizes that stay put. i think thor quadrant elbow pads. i strongly recommend elbow pads btw.

the most important thing (and i'm being serious here) with the average girl is making sure she likes the colors and they coordinate well together. some chicks hate the froofy pink and pastels, some like 'em, but they all want the gear to match. call me a sexist, but this is all from personal observation. of course it seems like there are lotsa guys out there that also like their gear to match. freakin metrosexuals.

I really like the Acerbis women's gear, but unfortunately they have discontinued it. MSR, Fox make womens gear. I recommend putting her in guys boots though (especially if they fit her properly). All of the boots that I have seen that are made for women offer very little protection in comparison to the guy boots. I love my Tech 8's. Not sure about a chest protector. I wear the Dainese body armor jacket.

I would stay away from anything made by MSR. My fiancee has returned 3 pairs of the MSR RG2X pants. They are junk, pure and simple. I'll jump on the Acerbis bandwagon too, she has the womens chest protector and it seems to fit her perfectly and it has also held up very well. She now wears No Fear pants and jersey's. They are for guys, but they fit her well and are very high quality. She wears the cheaper Thor boots, they seem to flex better than most boots so she can shift the bike easily and have some feel for the rear brake.

Fox and thor makes womens gear in girly pastel colors.

I personally wear guys gear. I like the fit of Alloy's gear. I'm not into the pretty patels and I find that they are cut better in the knees. Take her to a shop and have her try on a whole bunch of different brands. They all fit different, some run smaller and some run bigger. Some have big butt cuts and some have really small knees, and vice versa. You just have to try them on. And take your knee pads too with you when you go.

I like the acerbis womens chest protector. Thats what I wear. The boys just doesn't seem to fit right on me.

Elbow guards.....I use the EVS Burley elbow guards and love them, they don't move and you don't even know they're there.

Boots....Again take her to the store and try all of them on. Find the ones that fit the best, and offer good protection for your price range. I wear Tech 8's. They fit me the best. I haven't seen the womens Alpinestar boots yet in person or tried them on so I can't give an opinion on them. Altough they do look nice!!!

Hope that helps a bit.

Answer and O'Neal also make women's gear, also in somewhat pastel-ish colors but not too bad.

I disagree with the MSR statement, though. I've had 2 sets of the RG2X gear and it fit well and held up better than my Fox 360s. The newest Fox stuff isn't too bad, I like the stars better than the flowers and it comes in different colors. Personally, I'm going for another set of MSR. However, if you can find some Acerbis on closeout, jump on that--it's awesome gear. I have 2 sets of that.

I wouldn't suggest soft, flexy boots, though; they might be stiff and uncomfortable at first but that protection is important.

Just take her to the local dealer and let her pick out what she likes and is comfortable. Not all girls gear fits all girls the right way. I mostly wear guys gear, it all depends on the wearer. All brands are generally decent as far as pants and jerseys go. However, get her the best helmet you can buy her. They're expensive but completely worth it. The boots I would suggest would be Alpine Stars Tech 8's. They are the most comfortable and reliable boot out there.

Ehhh, hard to say MOST comfortable--A stars are great boots but just don't fit my feet. I ended up with the Sidi Force and am very happy with them.

There aren't any absolutes in the world of dirt bikes (or outside of it for that matter).

My wife uses the Acerbis chest protector , has for years and likes it very much. She likes the freestyle type pant as she is not a girlly girl.(Thank God!) Something to consider when picking out boots, our legs are longer, so a normal boot will ride up on her leg too much, my wife had A-Stars Vectors and liked them a lot, now uses A.R.C. 220v boots and likes them better.

Hmmm, not always true about the leg length thing. Half the freestyle pants I have tried on were highwaters. My Thors were really short, my Troy Lee pants are longer but also baggier.

I like Fox's guys gear (and don't care whether it matches really). Guys have no waist, so I buy a waist size larger. Because they have the cinch waist (verses a strap velcro) I can adjust the waist to fit. Flat chested, bought a kid's chest protector.

From personal esperience, get her boots, knee pads asap...and a chest protector. I have fox girls gear and it fits well, and has held up well....I have a Fox kids chest protector, Alpinestar boots, kids knee pads, and a HJC helmet. I can't imagine riding w/out all the protective gear, I've used all of it between my falls, and been so grateful to have it!

FC, she has a pair of Shift pants, and they seam to fit O.K. I was trying to make a point about boot hight. I reread my post, it was deceiving.

I would say: full gear. No exceptions. There were days not so long ago when all girls gear, dirt and road racing, did not have the same protection, features and armor as mens gear. Quite assault. Do girls never get hurt???????......

I personally wear mens gear- longer, narrower, no "bags" on pants, no "buckets" on chest protectors, boots are narrower in the calf area. Overall better quality, and no tacky pink or baby blue colors. Seems like our industry is still back in those days when men women had to have, must have different rules of engagement.

So, gear wise? FOX is great (not crazy about their boots, but lately- great helmets), AXO is excellent (and boots too), THOR is awesome- it's the matter of preference. Some of those fit tall thin gals like me, others fit shorter girls better. But I definitely insist: full gear. Don't wait until you get hurt. Pants and long sleeve jersey, knee and elbow pads, motocross boots, obviously good fitting off-road lid + goggles, gloves.

Camelback would make a very clever addition to it, not just in Arizona.

Original poster Did you end up getting her gear?

I love my fox pants, although the padding is all a little low on my leg compared to where it should be.

ALpinestar tech 8's are so comfortable and have saved my feet a couple of times already

CL-X4 HJC helmet xs fits great.

I like msr jerseys. The kid jersey's fit great for arm length. Fox gloves kids fit hands well.

I still havent been able to find a chest protector to fit correctly, or comfortably... So cant help you there. The closest one to fitting was a no fear one, but the shoulder pads were to big and couldnt be removed.

Don't buy anything without her trying on the specific model line first. My sister-in-law bought the lower line MSR pants in 28 only to find out she needed 30's. SHe then ordered some of the upper line stuff in 30 and found out she needed 28's. She also bought a jersey that wouldn't fit over her head....lol.

Personally, I don't like wearing the pants..I dunno, they just look stupid to me. But if you want her to have them, I think Fox has a line made just for lady's. If I remember right I saw them at Chaparral. I just wear Levis and a long sleeve shirt. But I would not even step on a bike without boots. So, I would Highly recommend at least buying those.

:banghead:

I prefer the MSR gear for women. Jersey, pants, and gloves have held up very well for me. They have their 2006 out now. I think it's called the Starlet. Comes in cool colors. Personally, I'm considering buying another set in purple.