Sign in to follow this  

strange noise post ring replacement -experts pls advice

Just finished doing timing after replacing piston rings [2002 E]. When i locked the journals in place and adjusted the ACCT, timing looks good.

I then started to rotate the shaft Manuely to see that all goes well - all looks fine except that as i get to the TDC i hear a "click" sound coming from the EX cam area - it does this sound every time i get to that point...

Ir sounds like a spring realiced and a metal hit metal lightly- not loud but similar to something hitting a cover or similar [the top cover is not insalled yet - so it not it].

I noticed the EX cam has an additional part that revolve around it.

What is that thing??

Can this thing make that noise??

Is it normal and i just never noticed this sound??

Timing is still fine after i turn it Manuely and valve clearance is in spec too

Need advice....

Thx.

Roy

I don't know for sure but if you are still using stock cams then I would say that you are just hearing the automatic compression release and that all is normal.

I would wait until someone else chimes in but that is what I think it is.

Iain

What does the auto comp' release do??

I do have the stock cams - and this noise happens exactly at the same point every time....

The auto decomp holds one of the exhaust valves open slightly until the engine turns over fast enough for centrifugal force to stop it from doing so.

What does the auto comp' release do??

I do have the stock cams - and this noise happens exactly at the same point every time....

Sounds like the auto compression release. Its a little pin inserted across the exhaust cam lobe on the base circle of the cam that, opens the exhaust valve slightly near TDC at low RPM's to reduce compression until the shaft spins fast enough to cause the flyweights to pull that little pin back in after start up.

I noticed exactly the same yesterday, I'll guess it's normal if you have a stock ex cam.

It does make sense that its the auto comp realice sine its feels like the noise is coming from that valve.

a bit concern since it should have happen to many folks who rebuild their engine yet - very low responds [our of 110 views of this message] - can it be that only us noticed it???

I'd be willing to bet that other's noticed it. But for the most part I think that a majority of built engines here are running the hot cams stage 2 with no auto decomp. That and after the questions been answered a few times there is no reason to repeat.

10guy - not really the answer i was expecting to get on this forum. we got some assumptions and a nice discussion , definitely not a clear cut

but thanks any way for your time

I, and a lot of others here could be a lot more clear cut if we had your bike in front of us. Diagnosis over the net with no pics or sound files is very difficult. Not many are experienced enough, burned excluded, to be able to just say it is this for sure. So we say it is probably this. It is then up to you to go and see if it is and then let us know if it isn't so we can go to the next step, if we can come up with one that is.

If you don't feel we lived up to your expectations I'm sure we can come up with a refund of the money you paid for membership to this site. :banghead:

also: you should have turned your engine over by hand -slowly-before putting the valve cover back on and would therefore have seen the action which was causing the ticking sound and would have worked the puzzle out for yourself.