Melinda Moore missing in Nor Cal

Friends,

A good friend of the Bay Area motorcycle community, Melinda Moore (aka 'BigRed') has gone missing. She left her home in Santa Rosa, CA at 8:30am on Monday September 19th. She was riding a red Aprilia tuono, and wearing black leather pants/boots and a Dianese jacket, black with red sleeves.

She should have been traveling to class at the Santa Rosa Junior College but she never arrived there.

It is unclear where she went or what happened, but we are exploring every possible means to find her.

Please have a look at the website www.findbigred.com for current information and a printable flier.

The news media is starting to get involved and this has thankfully put some extra pressure on law enforcment to direct some more attention to the search

The members at www.bayarearidersforum.com and www.northbaysportriders.com have been wonderful in offering support and assistance with physical searches, media contacts, and much more.

There is a wealth of information to be found at these locations.

If you've ever met Melinda, you'll never forget her, and if you haven't met her please take a moment to have a look as well.

If you can contribute any information, or assistance please let us know.

Any communications should be routed through the website and not through this forum.

Thank you.

Michael

www.findbigred.com

Lets bring her home!

Kevin,

Thank you for the sticky!

I completely forgot about pashnit, again thank you.

You can consider any road worth riding within about 150 miles of Santa Rosa.

Melinda is a very skilled and accomplished rider who is used to long distance rides and knows her way around Sonoma, Marin, Napa, and Mendocino Counties. Include in that San Francisco and the East Bay.

At this point we cannot discount any possibilities.

Thank you.

Michael

www.findbigred.com

You can consider any road worth riding within about 150 miles of Santa Rosa.

Melinda is a very skilled and accomplished rider who is used to long distance rides and knows her way around Sonoma, Marin, Napa, and Mendocino Counties. Include in that San Francisco and the East Bay.

At this point we cannot discount any possibilities.www.findbigred.com

Just a couple of thoughts in case they help. You said that there was no activity on her bank cards (including ATM card probably). I suppose she could have taken some cash, but it sounds like she didn't fill up with gas. Do you know if she usually used cash or ATM for bike fillups? If she didn't fill up with gas, that would put her somewhere within a radius of about half of a full tank for her bike if she crashed.

Another angle -- if she did want to take some time away from it all, she might have been in contact with a friend in the area where she knew she could stay for a few days to sort things out. Can you somehow get the police to check her home phone and cell phone records for the past few days, and call all of the numbers to find out who they are? If she made arrangements for a stay somewhere, the numbers are probably on her phone records. You say at the website that she left her cell phone behind -- you've probably already checked all the numbers in her Sent Calls list, right?

Sure hope she is okay, and is just staying with a good friend in the area for a few days. Good luck! -Mike-

Has anyone checked credit card purchases? That bike can't go more than couple hundred miles without getting more gas. Assuming you are her husband, you can check the purchases before the statement comes in. Call the bank. Or have the police do it.

There are thousands of miles of roads. Someone needs to get into her head and think where she would ride based on her mood that morning. It could help.

I forwarded the message and links to SFDirtBikes and SierraDualsports.

Kevin

Her home phone is her fiance's home phone, so I'm sure he's checked those records...and yep, she didn't take her cell phone with her. There has been no activity on any credit cards. And we've been checking with all her friends up north that we have contact info for, but we're getting nowhere.

Please say a prayer for our good friend!

Thanks for posting this Michael - give me a call if you think of anything else we can do.

edit: Check your PM's - Allen and I may come up this weekend.

It probably already has been done, but has a nation-wide search been done in the law enforcement database for any hits on her license plate since she went missing? She looks like she would attract attention on her sportbike, so maybe some cruiser somewhere ran her plate either as part of a simple traffic stop in the twisties, or as a suspicious vehicle somewhere. I just didn't know if the LE investigation had expanded to out of state databases. Good luck!

Edit -- I just had another thought. Check her PC's Internet browser (any and all PCs that she may have used) in their "History" log. If she was planning a trip somewhere, she might have done some homework on the Internet, and not realized that her activity was being recorded in the History log. She might have gotten a map from MapQuest, for example, or looked up an old acquaintance from highschool. Also be sure to check her recent posts in any web forums she frequented for any clues, and have the moderators check her PMs for any clues, especially any that she deleted.

I did some looking around on the various sites.

Looking at the starting point on maps.google.com, she left from the middle of Santa Rosa. Lots of good riding roads out there. I wonder what were her favorites for a short ride to clear her head? Going out Lucas Valley is always my first choice as a starting point.

Another post stated they thought she might be on Mines Road (out by Mt Hamilton?).

Does anyone have contacts for the Marin Sunday Ride? Might be a way to get a large group of riders looking for her. Give everyone there a reason to do some extra riding on Sunday.

Another post stated they thought she might be on Mines Road (out by Mt Hamilton?).

If that's true, we definitely should search Mines Road. That sucker is dangerous. Very fun, but very dangerous. There are generally no cars or cops, which is nice, but the gravel spots that get pulled into some of the apexes by cars can send you flying. I stopped riding Mines road because of the variable gravel spots.

Where was the mention of Mines Road? Which one of the fliers was it? If you can give me a link or a name of the person who mentioned it, I'll follow up to see if the road has been searched yet. I'll probably do it in a car, though, with my full kit.