Sign in to follow this  

'04 XR250 Good for Track Use?

Well, I wanna take the XR down to the track but there are two worries I have.

1. Can the bike handle it power-wise and suspension-wise.

2. Can I the 6' 1" 140 lbs. lerp handle the weight.

I dunno, any thoughts?

You can have fun dinking around on a MX track, but you'll most likely be a cowering roost target for people that are riding MX bikes in their normal realm.

The bike can handle anything you can throw at it but it's not the best bike for the track. I used to ride the 400 and 650 at the track all the time and had fun. Since I got the YZ neither one of the XR's has been to the track. The YZ has not seen the woods either.

You can do it, it wont be the number one choice of bike but it can do it. Heck most tracks are easily enough that it doesnt work the xr250 at all. What size up jumps and what is the track like. Tight, long, sandy, hard pack? With a 280 kit I think it would be more than a match for the 125 smokers. Heck at 140lbs, you will have more power to weight than most of the racers out there maybe. Than again you might be racing against all those little teenage punks with their brand new 250fs. :banghead:

ravenhawke,

I ride my XR280 primarily on tracks. The suspension is less than ideal, but it works good enough. I'm 190lbs, 6'3" and I can run with some of the slower mx bikes. I beat my XR up pretty hard, and it just smiles and asks for more. The stock forks are just so-so for the large jumps on most MX tracks, but work the cutch in the turns, and use the torque and you'll be fine. I swaped my front end for a CR setup and that made a huge difference. But even stock it's fine. And while the 2-strokers are home replacing their top ends, I'm clearing doubles and roosting out of the corners! :banghead:

Just don't expect to win any motos! :applause: