Sign in to follow this  

XR650L FCR jetting

I have a 99 XR650L. I had it bored out and a 102mm 10.5/1 piston put in. I also had a hot cam slotted and degreed in. I had a full white brothers e-series set up put on header wraped and all. Ported, and some valve work done to increase performance. I bought a Keihin FCR 41mm carb and am having a hard time gettting it dialed in. Does anyone out there have a XR650L that is highly modified that is currently running this carb, if so can you give me an idea of where to start from(jetting, clip position, ect.).

The needle is what ever comes in them stock with the clip in the middle and I am not sure what the jetting is at this point. I have changed it so many times after each mod trying to get it right. I think right now it is some where around 168 main 52 pilot. But I am not sure.

I am jumping in on this one

I have most of the same mods on my "XR675L" as you.

I have been fighting my FCR for a couple of months now.

Here is what I have carb wise

Needle OCEMR (or is it OCMER?)

Main 170

pilot/slow 48 to 65

& JD needles with a 180 main

And I have tried every combo of needle clip position and slow jet size along with adjusting the air screw.

My prob has been that I cannot for the life of me get the thing to idle well. It always seems to stumble & die. I have heard this called "flameout". I have been trying everything & talking to everyone for thoughts. Some have said it's lean some rich try this or that. nothing has cured it.

All I know is that with the blue JD needle clip in the 2-4 position 180 main and the 65 slow jet the thing pulls in the mid range & upper range awesome!

I loved it, it ripped (if an XR650L can rip)...

But it dies on idle, if I put a 48-55 slow jet it won't even idle at all, and to start with the 48-55 you have to whip the throttle so that the accel pump is throwing gas into the intake. This was the same prob I had when I first put the carb on with zero engine mods. I just changed the pilot to a 55 I think it was and it was great, now I am stumped.

Okay now Burned is going to say what about your float height, well I tried adjusting it but it was not easy for me. So I talked to a mech. friend and we are going to make sure that it is correct, "he's got an awesome set of tools"

For some reason I don't think it's the float since it wasn't even touched and worked great before.

I am all ears to suggestions.

Travis

Okay I guess I need to reintroduce myself... Hi my name is Travis, I am the local village idiot.

I am looking at my manual and where is the pilot slow jet (supposed to be a 100 or 200 right?). Is it in the float bowl?

I also did the float level it was way off like by 4 or 5mm.

Travis

the pilot air jet and main air jet are under the intake bell.the main ir jet is the center and the pilot air jet in on left.

Okay just to make sure I am oriented correctly the jet on the right (looking into the intake side) is the main air, it is a 200 the jet on the left is an adjustable type, spring-screw ( how many turns out?)

BTW Thanks so much for your help!!!

Travis

Just noticed something on the Sudco FCR diagram on their web page, I don't recall my needle having a spring on the top of it ( it is the older style FCR) do I need that or is it part of the new carb?

your cabr doesnt have the spring on top of the needle.your fine.

with a 48 pilot jet set the pilot air screw (the one on the left) at 1 turn out from lightly seated.

set your fuel screw at 2 turns out and see what you get.

Okay so here is what we have

48 pilot

180 main

JD blue needle #4 postition

1 turn out on the pilot air jet

200 main air jet

2 turns out on fuel air screw

Float level set to factory 9mm setting

Air box is opened way up

675cc motor with a 10:5 to 1 comp. piston

Stage 2 Hotcam

FMF Q pipe with Power Bomb header

The bike runs great but does still have a little cough at idle. It does the "flameout" once and a while. It is a bit hard to start when cold. It takes a bit of throttle work to keep it running when cold. Once warmed up it seems to do better.

So while not perfect it is much better.

Travis

Village Idiot reporting...

Uh fuel screw? "Mom where is the fuel screw" "uh, go ask Mr. burned"

Travis

Oh yeah that one..

2 turns out I have always called that the air fuel screw, wrong?

Travis