Sign in to follow this  

Shipping a bike.. Who have you used?

Hi,

I have a bike that i need to ship. It's crated and ready to go. I've used forward air before but I was interested in knowing if anyone used someone that was cheaper. If you have any suggestions please let me know.

Txs,

P

Someone recommended Freight101 to me and their quotes look reasonable, but I haven't tried them. I currently have a bike in transit from Ohio to NM using North American van lines and it's been 1 week and counting (tic, toc, tic, toc). They say under ideal conditions, I may see it this Thursday; too slow for me. It seems to me that Forward Air is a good deal if the bike is already crated and there is a terminal near each end.

I currently have a bike in transit from Ohio to NM using North American van lines and it's been 1 week and counting (tic, toc, tic, toc). They say under ideal conditions, I may see it this Thursday; too slow for me.

So....what did you buy Skip?

I just booked JC Motors.

They have the prices on the site by zone, pick up at the door and drop off at the door. You get to keep the Tie downs and the cover they use on the bike.

I paid $690 for NY to San Francisco and I checked around finding out that many are fly by nighters and $690 is the lowest I found out of say 15.

Forward Air would require going to their location. (1 hour drive each way and at least $40 in gas and tolls) on the shippers end. (his time and effort) Then it wouldhave to be crated (1 hour work at least) and then I'd have to pick it up who know's where but probably another fiasco.

I've got a tracking number so I can monitor things. And the tracking # refers me to North American Van Lines.

Their site is motorcycleshipper.com

With the tie downs, tarp savings on gas and tolls as well as time and effort on both ends. Forward air wasn't cheap enough to justify. And I doubt for anyone buying a bike over the internet, will any seller handle the forward air side of things for you on that end.

So coast to coast $690 is the best you can do.

I will write in when I receive the bike which should be the 5th or 6th.

I placed my order yesterday.

So....what did you buy Skip?

Well, I should first say that I've recently ridden a YZ250 and a CR250 and I really got the bug for something "more" than the X. The snap and power are just too cool in the sand. I don't want to let go of the X because it's nice for more relaxed riding.

So....., I bought a stock, used '03 CR250 to play with. I've already got a Doma pipe, PWK carb (I speak Keihin much better than Mikuni) and V3 cage to go on when it arrives. If that's not enough, there's always the Eric Gorr Mo-Better porting :banghead: . My 13 year old is ready to step up, and he really likes the X, so I'll hand it off to him for a while (lighter springs are on the way). I think the e-start and wide ratio will be helpful for him in the off-road riding we do.

BTW, on the shipping front, North American now says it'll be delivered Monday..... That'll be two complete weeks from OH to NM :applause: .

Hmm. Thanks! You just saved me $155 bucks. Forward Air wanted $340 to ship it if it's already created (we deliver it to a doc on the shipping end and pick it up at a doc on receiving end). Freight101 quoted me $186.50. Plus their pick up point it closer to my location than ForwardAir's. BTW: I'm shipping the bike from Tampa, FL to the San Jose/ San Francisco, CA area.

PT

So....., I bought a stock, used '03 CR250 to play with. BTW, on the shipping front, North American now says it'll be delivered Monday..... That'll be two complete weeks from OH to NM :banghead: .

Cool. I rode my buddies 05 CR250 and I think I lost the touch with a smoker. I don't know how I rode CR250's for so long and now their just alien.

Cool. I rode my buddies 05 CR250 and I think I lost the touch with a smoker. I don't know how I rode CR250's for so long and now their just alien.

I can imagine that it'll be a handful in tight technical situations and on an MX track. But I don't ride either of those very often; if ever. The added power and snap make sand riding (rear tire steering) much easier than with the X for me. Plus, I'm at 5,300 ft elevation, so rather than 45 hp, I'll have around 36 hp; roughly the same as a good running CRF250R at sea level. I hope it turns out to be as nice as the pics show.

Pic1

Pic2

Pic3