Sign in to follow this  

Burning up clutches?

Well I just toasted a brand new one yesterday.I am running a Hinson inner hub and clutch basket(which is brand new).For the plates,fibers,and springs I am useing the DP clutches kit.I use a quater to set the free play in my clutch lever.

For oil I am useing Maxima Extra.It is a synthetic oil.I used to use Bel-Ray Thumper oil and I dont recall having this clutch issue.I changed oils since my dealer quit carrying the bel ray.Could the Maxima be the resaon I keep burning these $200 clutches up?I am by no means use the clutch alot either.I am going to have to order another :banghead: clutch tomorrow so I can race this weekend.Is there any other reason I could be burning clutches up this fast?

I'm not familiar with the Maxima oil you mentioned. Look at the label. It should have a JASO grade on it, and if so, it needs to be MA. If it is graded MB, that's your problem. MB oils are friction modified for engines that keep their oil separate from their transmission. If it has no JASO ratings, look for red flags like EC, energy conserving, or reduced friction. Or, just go back to your old oil, or a different one.

I also don't have any first hand experience with DP clutches. I recommend OEM or Hinson plates.

As to your free play, it needs to be there no matter what. If it disappears at any time or any temperature, back off of the adjuster until it's back.

I will go check what the oil says right after I get done posting this.I was looking the the Dennis Kirk book and noticed that they have a Hinson brand oil.Since the hinson site is down the DennisKirk part number is 304331.Have you heard anything about that oil gray?I would assume since its made by Hinson it would be good on clutches.

Also gray what oil do you recommend?

DP clutches and springs are awesome. thats all i use in my 125 and i use the clutch so much on it and they are awesome. i use 2 stroke transmission fluid so i cant help you there.

I would try OEM because since I haven't toasted the clutched on my bike and I came off an 80 I use the clutch way more than I should. Have you checked the clutch springs on the DP clutch kit yet? Because I heard some company's clutch springs go out of spec really fast. It might of been DP clutches but I am not sure. :banghead:

I had the same problem using Amsoil. The clutch never completely engaged, which created excessive heat that softened the clutch springs, which caused the clutch to slip even more, which caused more heat,... Going back to Yamalube helped, but I was still only getting a few rides on a clutch set. I had been using an aftermarket clutch (Moose), and after going back to Yamaha springs the clutch is now holding up better. Check your springs from one of the toasted clutch sets. If they're sacked out from the excessive heat, they will be quite a bit shorter than the new ones.

Are you soaking your fibre plates (submersed in a container of your chosen oil) at least over night, can be the difference between 1 clutch kit a year or 3? Also emery your steel plates on a flat glass cutting board with some 240 or 320 wet and dry sandpaper. Fit new aftermarket springs as the yamaha ones are junk (they will always sack out).

Well im going to order another DP clutch today.Im also going to order a case of this Hinson oil to try out.Seems like good stuff.

I will go check what the oil says right after I get done posting this.I was looking the the Dennis Kirk book and noticed that they have a Hinson brand oil.Since the hinson site is down the DennisKirk part number is 304331.Have you heard anything about that oil gray?I would assume since its made by Hinson it would be good on clutches.

Also gray what oil do you recommend?

The Maxima situation is interesting. JASO MA specifically means it is an oil formulated to be compatible with a wet clutch, and that it has an additive package similar to an API SG/SH oil. It could be that "reduces friction" is just marketing talk, and that the oil is not your problem at all. I'm not familiar with Hinson's oil. Be sure it is not a gear oil instead of an engine oil.

I use Mobil 1 MX4T, but there are a number of oils that people use all the time that are known to work well, including Rotella T Syn, as mentioned and Mobil 1 Gold Cap.

Slapnut has a point about soaking the plates.

Have u tried the Hinson Clutch Cover? It is supposed to have more oil volumn - I am considering the entire Hinson - hub, pressure plate, basket and cover with possibly their plates .

Also how much do you use the clutch?

From the Description of the Hinson 10W 40 oil:

* Developed to enhance the life of the clutch, transmission and engine

* Premium base oil provides superior clutch performance while protecting the rest of the transmission from thermal breakdown

* Designed specifically for off-road 4-stroke engines that have shared transmission and engine oil

* Can be used in off-road engines, both 2- and 4-stroke, that have separate transmission and engine oil as a higher viscosity alternative to Hinson 80W-80 transmission oil

Seems like its what I want.I will let you know how the stuff works.

I dont use the clutch very much at all.I mostly use 3rd gear for everything and roll the throttle on with no clutch.I will make sure I soak the plates as always.

I have not tried the Hinson clutch cover although it is a good idea.

on the DP clutches you dont have to soak them in oil. its says on the directions do not presoak in oil ready to race. i never soaked my DP fiber plates and they are fine. :banghead:

KXMike,

I know it says you dont have to soak them but the question is: Will it really hurt to soak them?

Man... this looks pretty un-fun. It all started with Magura... :banghead: But if it helps, I used Valvoline. Could you have overmodified the engine? I have no idea. Sorry

Have u tried the Hinson Clutch Cover? It is supposed to have more oil volumn - I am considering the entire Hinson - hub, pressure plate, basket and cover with possibly their plates .

Also how much do you use the clutch?

Dave,

The Hinson cover won't add oil volume, because the oiling system is dry sump. Most racers use the billet covers because they are tougher than mag covers, and are less likely to get perforated by a clash with someone else's footpeg. But I did read something about the Hinson/GYT-R covers coordinating with the Hinson pressure plate in some way to better oil the clutch.

My '03 has the complete Hinson clutch in it, and all I can say is that it has been the best clutch I've ever had in any motorcycle I ever owned. I don't know how old it is, but I've had it since early '04, and it still works great. With my gearing (15/49), I end up slipping the clutch quite a bit in low speed sections out in the trails or in a real tight sand wash, and it never complains. It never slips, chatters, drags, or grabs, pulls with two fingers, and the bike goes right in neutral. It's a lot of money for a clutch, but I guess maybe sometimes you really do get what you pay for. It really is extraordinary.

Yamaha offers all the Hinson parts as GYT-R stuff, and they have a kit, PN GYT-5TA56-30-00, that has all of the plates and a different actuating arm to lower the pull for $110. Worth looking into, and the GYT-R parts may or may not be cheaper to you than those branded Hinson.

John:Im not in school this week due to the bloomsburg fair.But you are at school.Shouldnt you be working?haha And sadly it all started with Magura.

Gray:I have everything except the hinson pressure plate.Would the pressure plate actually make that much of a difference?