Sign in to follow this  

Stock clutch basket

how long are you all getting out of your stock clutch basket.. I plan to put in the rekluse this fall and am wondering if I should plan on anything else to replace while its open.

Just inspect it and see if anything else need replacing that's all you can do, I'd use OEM for replacement of parts, you know it will all fit and work perfectly. The Rekluse Z-start is one of the good aftermarket parts you can purchase and I don't say that "ever" (Mr. OEM guy), so count it'self lucky I say...

Regards Honda0001

how long are you all getting out of your stock clutch basket.. I plan to put in the rekluse this fall and am wondering if I should plan on anything else to replace while its open.

I got about 1/2 year out of mine on my 05 but I ride a lot. Went with the Hinson and I'm happy with it.

sounds good. Is the wear obvious to the naked eye right away? or do you start to feel some sticky shifting first, then check it out.

I was feeling the engagment getting more sticky and it was really hard to start in gear. When I tore into it I could see the wear being really obvious on the basket.

My fathers when you click it into gear sort of wants to move forward ever so slightly.

The cable is adjusted correctly, I'm not soure if this is when it is just cold or not?

I got about 1/2 year out of mine on my 05 but I ride a lot. Went with the Hinson and I'm happy with it.

Hinson is an over rated name, it will grove out just like stock, it just takes abit longer. I get about 6 months from stock and 1 year from a Hinson. Not worth the extra $$$ if you ask me. Go with a Barnet Basket, they have SS inserts to stop the fingers from being worn.

Also when your basket wears, normally your clutch fingers are shot too. So then you have to replace the plates too, even though they have lots of life left. I have never worn out a clutch, my baskets always go first.

And if your basket it worn, the inner hub is worn. Replace it too, OEM is like $70, ProX makes one for around $50, and the casting is 100% better than the stock casting.

I've got part numbers for all of the above if anyone wants them.

My fathers when you click it into gear sort of wants to move forward ever so slightly.

The cable is adjusted correctly, I'm not soure if this is when it is just cold or not?

Some of this could have to do with the oil not being warmed up or the type of oil you use. The only way to find out for sure is to inspect the clutch basket. It's a pretty easy inspection. Pull the clutch cover, then the bolts holding the clutch together, remove the plates and see what you've got.

Mine did the same thing. What I found is the clutch basket had grooves worn in it. I replace the clutch basket, hub, plates, and disks and the creeping is gone.

Some of this could have to do with the oil not being warmed up or the type of oil you use. The only way to find out for sure is to inspect the clutch basket. It's a pretty easy inspection. Pull the clutch cover, then the bolts holding the clutch together, remove the plates and see what you've got.

No, unless the oil is low, oil would not cause that. The wrong oil (oil with addatives) would cause the clutch to slip under load. His clutch is not disengaging the whole way. If the cable is adjusted correctly, it is most likely the basket. And everything else that wears when the basket wears.

No, unless the oil is low, oil would not cause that. The wrong oil (oil with addatives) would cause the clutch to slip under load. His clutch is not disengaging the whole way. If the cable is adjusted correctly, it is most likely the basket. And everything else that wears when the basket wears.

I beg to differ. I run a Belray tranny fluid 80W in mine and it does that all the time. Until it warms up it's a bit grabby and can be difficult to start in gear. Has been that way in every bike I have owned, 2 stroke and 4.

I beg to differ. I run a Belray tranny fluid 80W in mine and it does that all the time. Until it warms up it's a bit grabby and can be difficult to start in gear. Has been that way in every bike I have owned, 2 stroke and 4.

Are you positive that your basket is not worn? Have you checked it? Because when my last basket went, it was less noticable when warmed up. Just as you say, but it was my basket, expanding as it gets warm, and letting the clutches move about more freely.

And if it was my oil causing something like that, I would switch to a different oil.

Are you positive that your basket is not worn? Have you checked it? Because when my last basket went, it was less noticable when warmed up. Just as you say, but it was my basket, expanding as it gets warm, and letting the clutches move about more freely.

And if it was my oil causing something like that, I would switch to a different oil.

Yep positive that it's not the basket. Bel Ray transmission fluid has performed in 7 different bikes for me in the same manner. Won't switch either. I race 2 different enduro circuits, long course and in 10 years I have only replaced 1 clutch. That was in a 125 and it didn't really need it but I was getting nervous since you clutch the heck out of those. I have only had to replace 1 clutch basket also and that was in my 05 CRF.

Ok thanks guys for the advice, he runs 10W 40 semi synthtic oil in the transmission and engine so...does that mean anything?

I have a Wisco basket in my 04 crf450. I looked at it last winter ( 1 year old) and it looked like new. I will look at it again this winter. great product