Sign in to follow this  

Motard front brakes on dirt???

HI

Have been looking at a shit load of bikes recently.

Had a ride of the DRZ over the weekend.

Nice- unfussed and seemed to work well.

Had a ride of a DRZ SM last night.

Even nicer- even if It was just a quick blat arround the block.

chief financial officer liked it to and a lot cheaper than a berg.

??

Wondering how a SM front brake setup would got offroad??

Might be easier for me to get a DRZ SM and convert it for dirt, than get a DRZ and convert it to USD Heavy Duty fronts.

If I get a DRZ SM and some off road wheels and fit a SM front brake disc and just swap the wheels over.

Sort of like reverse motarding a bike??

just an idea??

later

P

Do a couple of searches on the subject. The SM to S vs. S to SM debate has been covered quite a bit. I believe the result was that S to SM would be easier/cheaper.

HI

More the issue of how the motard brakes would go on the dirt, than looking to convert from S to SM or VV.

AT 350 lbs I will need all the braking I can get.

Some one pmed me and said the motard brake would get to damaged offroad- never thought of that.

Hands up anyone who's been stopped from riding - MID RIDE- by damage to a brake disc while out on the trails??

Anyone??

I've never heard of brake damage used an excuse for a poor ride B4.

Also planning on a mod list including: big bore kit, pumper carb, pipe, cams, suspension rebuilt for my weight, cdi and a large tank.

THanks later

P

I fit is an offroad only bike I would look into something else. The SM is the wrong bike to ride offroad and if you are doing it purely because of the upsidedown dorks, there are better options.

No one ever got stopped because of brake damage? I guess all those companies that sell guards for discs make money from paranoia. It's kind of obvious that the Super Motard brakes would be more vulnerable to trail damage. They are a much larger target.

Later,

Allan Greenblazer

I bought a set of S wheels and plan on going off roading with the SM brakes. I havn't been able to get out yet(need new sprockets + chain) but I'd figure if anything the rear brake would be MUCH more likely to hit something. Someone was telling me the other day that there are other bikes out there that have a floating disk that are fine for taking some hits and keep going.

Biggest concern with the SM brakes off road is your traction conditions. If you grab a hand full of front brake on the pavement you do a stoppie... If on the other hand you grab a handfull of front in the dirt even with the S brakes you skidd and have to back out of it or fall over....

Now all that extra brake is going to be fun to deal with in the dirt cause they dont make a relocator to use the smaller brakes on the sm forks.

Biggest concern with the SM brakes off road is your traction conditions. If you grab a hand full of front brake on the pavement you do a stoppie... If on the other hand you grab a handfull of front in the dirt even with the S brakes you skidd and have to back out of it or fall over....

Now all that extra brake is going to be fun to deal with in the dirt cause they dont make a relocator to use the smaller brakes on the sm forks.

I have Galfers on my S and it stops a lot like a stock S/M...only a lil' more "Progressive"...proll'y due to the pads.

The comment about grabbing a "Handfull" is your only real issue.

The big S/M rotor should be fine as long as you're careful in the Rocks/Washes/River-Beds...infact...I've run a "Big" front Rotor in Desert Races and we LOVED it (My "Team" of 3 riders is the "We" of which I speak...I ain't no "We"/3rd person talkin' NASCAR Driver!).

The biggest consideration for Retro-Fitting a 21" front Wheel would be the "Travel/Clearance" issues...are the Upside-Downs set-up/valved/re-valve-able for Off-Road?

Doesn't the S/M have a different Swing-Arm? And, if so, will it take to "Off-Roading"?

As I understand it, the S/M was supposed to get a "Stronger" swing-arm...I've takin' a spin on a new Yellow/Blue S/M; however, I didn't give it a good lookin' at...I'll have to do that!

If it IS possible to rig the S/M for off-road...That's what I'd do...when wanted!

Then again, I guess that's because I've already got my KLX-SR thoroughly rigged for "Off-Road"...

Good Luck and let us know the results of your "Experiment"!