Sign in to follow this  

Some info please....

I have been reading with great interest about the new te450 being street legal. I have been seriously thinking about selling my street bike and getting another dual sport, and now have a few questions.

I'll start with this one. Hopefully it won't sound too stupid. Let me premise with this- I have owned dual sports in the past and was relatively disappointed in the off road abilities. Primarily due to suspension and weight I guess. I have been happy with the trail riding and street attributes. I now want a bike that is WAY more dirt worthy, but still can be ridden on the street. I don't plan to race, so that's not an issue.

I have read people say that a motocross/true offroad bike will suck on the street. Having never owned such a bike, WHY???? Tires can't be it....so what then?? I must be missing something.

I rode my DR350s from Owatonna, MN to Phoenix, AZ in 1992. I don't plan on doing that again, but I will drive it back and forth to work, and maybe 75 miles or so to the nearest large public riding area once in a while.

What do you all think? I like everything I'm reading about the Husky....and don't really want to settle for an XR or DR.

thanks,

paul

I have read these silly comments too, they are nothing but old DRZ die hards fighting to save some good for them selves.

I owned a DR-Z400S fun very adaptable bike but it sucked on the street too as any dirt bike does and as it was underpowered and too small. In one way they are right only a much bigger bike like an adventure bike or KLR 650 will begin to feel ok on the street, but the bottom line is my Te-510 is dual sported and it is much better on the street then that DRZ dog sled ever thought it could be.

look I say the DRZ is a great bike! I support all its loyal owners, but when they make stupid comments like that I have to remind them the DRZ is a dog sled. HUSKY rules over that pig by factor of 10.

DRZ, 292lbs dry weight. the new TE-450 dual sport is reportablly 249 ready to ride weight, that meand the DRZ is 50 lbs heavier and now watch those DRZ lug heads say oh the weight is better on the street :banghead::applause:

I ride my 260 lb TE-510 on the street and it rocks my world,

Buy the TE510.

Its got plenty of beans for highway use. Off road it simply rocks.

Its not just better off road than other dual sports--its better off road than just about any other bike.

For extremely tight woods it might be a little heavy--for racing....otherwise its a bike that can be ridden anywhere.

Ive had mine on the Glen Helen track-Baja races-single track-Big Bear dual sport rides-even splitting lanes on the I5. Its an amazing bike that is at home all over the place. Cant think of anything even remotely as versatile as a street legal TE510.

I think the DRZ is a great bike but when I test rode one I was underwhelmed. When I rode the Husky motard I was 10 minutes into it and yelling in my helmet "I GOTTA GIT ME ONE 'O DESE! ! ! ! !". I put off getting my new truck in favour of the Husky and despite the "out of the blue" decision have NO regrets. That damn Husky is as much fun as you can have with leather on that doesn't involve a girl and a bullwhip. The other serious motard and enduro options are the same but with the Huskys coming with all the street stuff in the box for '06 the deck is stacked for sure.

Irondude: How much miles do you have on your 510 and what has the service intervals been like? How often do you change oil? And do the valves? I heard different stories from people. Seems like in Europe and Aus. they can go forever like 20000km or 10k miles with only two valve checks. I am so close to dropping cash on a 06 510 but just worry the maint is going to be like my CRF450 SM.

Thanks for the valuable inputs.

Generally speaking, when I go into the Suzuki dealership, I can deal with them on price. Local KTM- not. Am I going to expect to pay msrp for a new Husky?

I have 2000 miles 110 hours on my husky, I checked the valves at 12 hrs, 40 hrs and 80 hrs, they never moved. I am not a racer so my rpms are low to mid range most the time.

oil changes and air filter maintence is the same for any bike - OFTEN!

in 8 months of owner ship I have had a front wheel bearing go bad, a battery fail and my kick stand hindge thing bent some. all were parts in stock at my dealer and quick to replace. The first plastic was brittle too but replacement plastic is fine.

Thanks for the valuable inputs.

Generally speaking, when I go into the Suzuki dealership, I can deal with them on price. Local KTM- not. Am I going to expect to pay msrp for a new Husky?

yes, don't let them charge you set up fees, just offer msrp + tax and license no more.