Sign in to follow this  

Lake Tahoe Riding Areas????

Heading up to Kirkwood this coming weekend and I'm looking for some choice riding areas. We'll be staying at Kirkwood but have the ability to roam a bit. Can anyone reccommend some riding areas? Not just fire roads, the tight stuff is fun, as well as some fast open stuff.

Thanks for the input.

I have been trying to remember the place I rode about 15 years ago up there. I asked my buddy I rode with at the time and he said it was around the backside of the ski resorts mountain. I have not talked to him in a while to get the directions. It may enter somewhere around Silver Lake. It was an awesome ride. It started out as a 4wd trail and split, bikes one way, 4wds another. It was large boulder type riding with single track thrown in. There was a small lake we swam in on the way back. A bear even ran in front of me when we were riding. :applause: It dead ended and you rode the same trail back, it took all day to ride. It was one of the best rides I have been on, but I can't remember where the trail starts! :banghead: If anyone can tell me please do. You may also want to try the Blue Lakes area which is not far from there. My brother goes there and he says there are all kinds of trails to ride on. Have not made it up there yet. Good luck.

From Kirkwood you can go East on Hwy 88 about 3-4 miles and turn left into Caples Lake maintenance Station (CalTrans) and park. It's gravel road for a couple of miles and then splits-to the right is the Strawberry Jump run going all the way to Hwy. 50. lots of fun. To the left is what I call snake trail and it's tight single track winding down the mountain into Buck Meadows then you can turn around and come back out.

If you go West on Hwy 88 for 7 miles you'll come to Silver Lake and on the south end of Silver Lake is Plasse's Resort. Park there and take the single track trail out of Stockton Camp called the switchback trail. From there you hit a tough 4wd road and get on top of Squaw Ridge, head North to Horse Canyon Trail and you'll complete a loop coming in on the North end of Silver Lake. It's about 2 miles on Hwy back to Plasse's. The Horse Canyon Trail is a tough, rocky single track (make sure you have a skid plate.)

Just remember to stay on the trail and don't go where you're not supposed to. Plus, keep in mind that it's deer season up there right now. Some excellent trails all around there, enjoy!