Tramsmission Bearing Question?

Hey guys,

I have my cases split and am about to insert all new bearings throughout.

My question is which way do i face the closed side on the bearings listed below? These are the only ones in my motor that had a closed face.

These numbers are from the Yamaha parts website.

#10 93306-00320-00 BEARING (5PH1) 1 - Output shaft bearing

#11 93306-27208-00 BEARING (5PH1) 1 - Clutch shaft bearing

Both bearings are on the generator side of the motor.

I think the closed face should face out, but I would appreciate a conformation on this.

I have also read here to prime the oil pump before my first start up.

I have not been able to find any info on this. Anybody have any links that i can't seem to find? Or could let me know how this is done.

Another question is has anybody been able to find just the cam bearings?

I have tried the local bearing supply house and they could not help me.

Thanks

Kevin

The closed face always faces out. Yamaha doesn't sell the cam bearings seperate from the cams. The I.D. of the bearing isn't larger than the cam lobes anyways. The bearings would be too much trouble to change and you'd most likely damage the cam. Another thing to consider is that if your cam bearings are worn out then your cam lobes and sprockets probably are as well.

Thanks for the info on the tranny bearing faces. That’s what I thought.

As for the cam's, my lobes look good, just a little loose in the bearings.

My mechanic said he could press off the sprocket and then change the bearing.

He would then heat the sprocket and slip it back into place.

But if I can’t get the bearings then so be it.

Most of the bearings are available through bearing supply houses, and are much cheaper then getting them through Yamaha.

Again thanks for the conformation.

Priming the pump is not necessary because, being a dry sump, the oil pump is always at a level below that of the oil. As long as you lube everything, including the pump, gravity will take care of the rest.

HOWEVER, those with bikes later than '02 would be well advised to put a pint or so of oil directly into the frame reservoir before starting up a fresh engine so that the oil gets to the feed pump sooner.

<HOWEVER, those with bikes later than '02 would be well advised to put a pint or so of oil directly into the frame reservoir before starting up a fresh engine so that the oil gets to the feed pump sooner.>

Hey grayracer,

Will this also help protect an 01 as well? If so how do you make sure you get enough in? Also where is the reservoir? I know where the holding tank is (above tank, below steering head). Is there another i do not know about? I do not know the layout of the newer bikes.

Thanks