Sign in to follow this  

Grrrrease

So what kind of grease should i use for most of the stuff on my bike. Susp linkage, headset, axles, levers, throttle tube, footpegs, cable guides in throttle tube, etc.

Can I use all the same stuff for everything? I have got a tub of Mobile 1 sitting around that just says "synthetic grease". Is that cool to use?

Any heavy grease (the synthetic stuff included) is fine on the linkage, axles, headset, and any other large bearings. Most of the rest I don't even lube because it attracts more dirt, meaning you have to service it more often - it's a matter of preference. I do use wd-40 on the footpeg pins, but that's about it. You could even use the wd-40 on your handlebar and throttle pulleys/runners and such; but not grease.

I'd suggest getting a service manual. It recommends a specific type of grease (NLGI-2, plus moly, etc.) for each component. Ultimately, I ended up using Maximua Waterproof for many bearings.

I have a question on waterproof grease (I also own a tub of belray waterproof).

Isnt all oil based grease waterproof?

I have a question on waterproof grease (I also own a tub of belray waterproof).

Isnt all oil based grease waterproof?

No. The problem is the oil washes out from the grease and then you're left with thickener / tacifier and some ep/aw additives instead of a grease with the proper amount of oil in it. Put simply, think of grease as a sponge where its constantly releasing and absorbing the oil when needed.

There's plenty of lithium based greases (synthetic or not) that say they're water proof when in fact they're not and all you have to do it put some of your grease in the palm of your hand and mix in some water and if it gets milky, then its breaking down before your eyes. Lithium complex greases are more water proof than plain lithium based greases, but aluminum complex greases are generally more water proof. Like any product, some are better than others and name brands, pretty labels and catchy phrases don't always mean what's inside is of the highest quality. If you're looking for a top of the line grease that's truly water water proof that will extend the life of your bearings, then look at Schaeffers 221 #2 or something similar.

http://www.schaefferoil.com/datapdf/221.pdf