Sign in to follow this  

handle bar grip question?

When installing new handle bar grips what kind of glue are you guys using to prevent the grips from spinning on the handle bars?Iused renthal glue grip and it did not work very good, the mud and water got underneath the grips from a muddy race on sunday and they were spinning like crazy.I do not like using safety wire!

GOOP from home depot. It is in the section where where the super glue is. The famous wrooster said to use GOOP and it works really good. But while it is drying I tie zipties around the grip so it sticks to the bar better.

The story of MXCaveman.........

MXCaveman says "me no like safety wire. me use only glue"

MXCaveman rides mud race in rain. MXCaveman loves riding in mud, but after many crashes, water and mud gets between grip and bar, and MXCaveman gets some serious grip-slip. Determined MXCaveman finishes race in 20th place by pushing bike to finish, Fred Flintstone style.

Moral of story:

MXCaveman is not total Neanderthal and is now using glue AND safety wire, AND kicking butt in AA class.

Recent quote from MXCaveman as seen on TV: "That's sooo condescending" !

i aRe try that ut seemz lIke a god ideea!!!one!!one !1!

No Mercy. :banghead:

You guys are ruthless.

Don't shoot me, but I've used Honda Pro Grip Cement with real good results. I did notice that it looks and smells and generally behave pretty much exactly like the good ol' Yellow Death (3M Super Weatherstrip Adhesive), just without the yellow dye. Hmm...

GRAYRACER speak truth. I, too, have used the Honda-named product with great success.....but also safety wire! It is less than half the price of the Renthal glue. I have heard other riders complain of the Renthal product not meeting their expectations. :banghead:

Scott glue or the aerosol spray adhesives with SAFETY WIRE! and you'll have no problems, make sure the grips you buy have a place for safety wire right on the outside end (on the other side of the big collar) to prevent any water from getting in.

put mine on with an air compressor and safety wire, no glue. Been in plenty of rain and mud and no slippy yet. That way I can take them off with air, no problem.

Paint em on. I just spray Krylon glossy(any brand will work) on the bars and a little inside the grip - put em on quick so they will slide on. Ready to ride in 15min. or less. No problems and real cheap.

To prevent absolutely no slippage of the grips safety wire must be used. If safety wire is used then glue is not necessary. Just spray something in the grip that will evaporate, some people use gasoline but I prefer carb cleaner, and slide the grip on easily and line it up perfectly. Use three safety wires per grip and your good to go.