how to clean air filter?

and wear gloves when you apply the oil. well atleast if you use the belray stuff. its very tacky. A few companies sell buckets if you care to spend the money. Ive got a twin air bucket which has a small metal cage at the bottom. It is supposed to let the dirt settle at the bottom of the bucket and the cage keeps you from pushing your filter into it. They also sell a similar bucket for oiling the filter but ive always done that by hand. The washing bucket was like $13 i think and ive had mine since 97 so id say its paid for itself.

I clean it in gas or greased lightening (spray on degreaser)and dry it in some paper towels and the squirt some motor oil on it, ball it up a few times to get it moist and put it back on :banghead::applause: . you just want the dust to stick to it, this has worked for me for years.

if you're in a pinch, you can use chain lube for filter oil with excellent results-spray-on grease works well too. Engine oil, chain saw chain oil, axle grease-I've used them all. The dirt sticks to them and stays on the outside of the filter. To clean you can also use dish soap and warm water but they are hard on the environmnet as they go into the water system-probably no worse than steroids, urine from female mamals of all types taking/given birth control medication, daipers, cooking grease, pesticides, .........