Klr 650 Mpg

You should love riding a new KLR650 - especially with the high gas prices we now pay - but you should consider adding the performance mods I've listed below.? I have also switched from using the "high test" 91 octane gas to the "mid range" 87 octane gas and my bike doesn't seem to know the difference! :banghead:

I'm getting 58 MPG now that my 2006's engine is broken in (3000 miles+) and since switching to 10W40 Golden Spectrol synthetic blend oil. :applause: The first tank I ran through the brand new engine got 53 MPG and - happily - the gas mileage ratio has steadily improved with each 500 miles on the odometer. ? Keep in mind that my bike has more pounds on it than most riders have, I weigh 210 lbs and I have a tail bag with tools, wet riding gear, etc,; that must weigh 30 lbs - so a naked bike with a skinny rider might get milage up in the 60 + MPG range.

I was very pleased with the performance of the bike out the dealers door but am even happier now with the addition of these performance mods: a K&N air filter, a reusable, cleanable stainless-steel oil filter, a 16 tooth hardened sprocket up front, a DEKA AMT Gel Cell battery, and an X-Ring chain!?

? Safe ?

I just picked up a 2004 in bone stock trim and ran a tank through it today. It got right at 60 MPG and most of today was on the highway at 50 to 70 mph. I am 175 lbs and the bike has 2700 miles on it. Only the 650 BMW I used to have got better mileage. :banghead:

Ride Safe.

Marc

• 1 month later...

I get an average of 50MPG - I'm a Big Boy at 6' 4" and 350 Pounds. So, with any cargo, I keep this bike at about it's max load limit. Being near-50ish, I don't bounce like I used to, so I'm easy on the throttle and don't do extreme off-road stuff. :applause:

• 1 year later...
  • 10 months later...

2007 stone stock w/3100 miles avg 50 mpg with some wrist twisting. Last fill up after a nice easy 200 mile loop, average speed of 60 mph was 55 mpg.?

The KLR is a great commuter and pack mule. I went to the hardware store to purchase a shovel and just strapped it on with a couple of bungee cords. Bolt on a milk crate and the sky's the limit!?

I have a 2005 with about 12,000 miles, and I get 56-59.5 or so.But from what I've read at KLR650 forums, many are getting less, and some in the 45 mpg range. These mileages on this thread are some of the highest I've seen.

jon

I have a 2005 with about 12,000 miles, and I get 56-59.5 or so.But from what I've read at KLR650 forums, many are getting less, and some in the 45 mpg range. These mileages on this thread are some of the highest I've seen.

jon

I noticed that too. After posting a high of 55 mpg further up this thread my bike got 57 mpg on the most recent fill up. There are many factors affecting fuel economy such as quality of fuel, where and how the bike, was riden, altitude, temperature, jetting, mods, gearing, etc.

When my bike was new it was consistantly getting 48-50 mpg. After the first 1000 miles it crept up into the low 50's. Now at the 3000 mile mark I've been getting in the mid 50s. Just an observation of break in and how the mpg has improved slightly as the miles have been put on the bike. I don't exactly baby the throttle when I'm combat riding on I-5 for a 15 mile stretch. Well at least on this ~34 hp rocket you feel like your moving!?