Sign in to follow this  

confused 525 or wr450?

Thinking of selling my 2003 KTM525 sx/SM with 17" wheels

it was a KTM demo ride bike and I rode it at Beaver Run once and I love it on the track but for the street I really miss my WR400, since it already had the lights and wide ratio tranny. Should I go through the trouble to make the KTM street leagal or just sell it and get a WR 450???

:banghead::applause:🤣 Help.

If moneys not an object then I'd sell the KTM and get an '06 WR450. No hassles of getting the SX to be able to run lights and wiring harnesses and all that jazz. You can buy all the factory KTM dualsport parts and make it a trick install, it just comes down to if you want to do the work. With the Yamaha all you have to do is get the 17"'s and your good to go. Did you have a hard time getting a plate for that WR pictured on your website in Ohio? I know KTM's are very easy to title in Ohio. I also just titled my Husky and it was a breeze too. Major concerns for the KTM are lighting coil and tranny? Is that SX the 4 speed? You can buy the 6 speed conversion but by the time you do all that your probably better off with the Yamaha. Good Luck in your decision. What part of Ohio are you from?

I just moved from Summit county to Medina county. all of the riding areas that I know of are east of Akron and now its long haul...

as far as I know it shouldn't be any trouble to get any dirt bike made street legal in Ohio, in 99 the law changed and now all you have to do is sign a waver stating that your bike is steet legal and, poof, your good to go. (I was the first person in Summit county to do so and maybe in all of Ohio)

It would cost about $2,000 to make the KTM street legal; 6 speed, rotor, case cover, light kit... what I am really wondering is if it will be as much fun as the WR was. I wouldn't mind hearing from a street 525sx rider?

and as far as money goes, if it weren't an issue I would have BOTH! :banghead:

Bring it over here and I'll trade ya this: :banghead:100_0719.jpg

Nice, only its a YZ and I would be in the same boat as with the SX unless you did some type of tranny mod?

No, my bikes tranny is still stock.. its not too bad the way it is but Im definatly doing the tranny mod soon. I figure its worth the investment since Ive already gone this far with it. If I could go back in time, I would definatly have put the money into a KTM first... I just really like those bikes. Do you have a pic of yours to post??

No, my bikes tranny is still stock.. its not too bad the way it is but Im definatly doing the tranny mod soon. I figure its worth the investment since Ive already gone this far with it. If I could go back in time, I would definatly have put the money into a KTM first... I just really like those bikes. Do you have a pic of yours to post??

but the KTMs are quite abit more money.

and I will have a Pic as soon as I get my internet connected :banghead: was supposed to be last week :banghead:

ahhhh, finally, :banghead: the internet

Here is the 525 SX I am thinking about selling it for $5,500...

KTM001.jpg

KTM004.jpg