Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  

TE-510 On Road

Recommended Posts

Okay people,

I want to thank everyone so far who has provided advice and experiences on all the forum threads I have asked this topic. I am about to pull the trigger on a TE510 2006. I mean it is like a 98% chance I am going to do it. It is the last 2% that worries me.

I have written in other forums what I currently have. It is a 03 CRF450 with a 488 kit, cam, ported, yada yada. The problem I am so scared of it going boom but it is one fast bike. It does a 12.5 in the quarter mile (with my 140lbs friend on it).

Anyways I am looking at the TE510 to be a replacement in which I can do everything on. Supermoto (which is basically on the street), trail riding, and some motocross. All of this is not in a racing enviroment and of course I want to be alble to ride to work every so often.

The last 2% holding me back is the service intervals for oil changes and valve checks. Some people seem to have gotten over 20000kms. I looked at the 05 TE510 owners manual and they mention a valve adjustment/top end rebuild {valves, springs, and etc.} at 10000kms {4500 miles} if ridden on the road. Oil change is suggested to be done after 1000kms {450miles}, 5000kms{2300 miles}, 10000kms {4500 miles}.

So to make myself feel better, what are some peoples experiences with their huskys on the road? As far as issues and the amount of miles they have on them.

thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

you will need to change the sprokets from the stock 14/50 to 15/48 to get the higher speeds on roads. TE-510 with 14/50 is perfect off road but you're into sixth gear at 45 mph and starting to feel wound out at like 58-60 mph.

regarding the top end rebuild, if you allways shift early and stay out of the higher RPMs you can go long with this bike, but I have heard of new top ends needed as early as 1 year of rugged use and as late as two years..... so that 4500 miles statement sounds about right.

the desrt guys run 15/48. and 15/48 will keep you in lower rpms too on the road. the bike still has plenty power to lug thru teh 15/48 off road too, just wont have that real tractor feeling in slow tougher terrian

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

sounds less labor intensive than my crf. read from Eric Landstrom on supermotojunkie that the valve size of the 06s are getting bigger? Will this help in valve train longevity?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not an expert on CRFs but yeah a CRF is a competition MX bike and they do need attention. Husky is more industrial strentgh is the term I was told. They had done some valve stuff (thicker stems) in 05 and now bigger valves in 06 too, I bet it's continued improvement.

you asked about labor intensive, that i can talk about. the Husky is the easiest bike to work on of all. WAY WAY easiier to get to the motor valves, carburetor and vitals then a CRF. Oil change is a snap.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I run 16-47 gearing for racing in Baja where we average 45-50+ mphs for 10-20 hours at a time. The bike tops out right about 100mph. Plenty of hit down low.

But--it really helps to have a straight flow exhaust.

Since March i've been waiting for the valves to move--and one did a little bit-otherwise the motor has been perfect.

IMHO the TE510 is the only real do it all bike. Motard, trails, MX, desert, enduro.

It excells in all these situations.

Run two sets of wheels and two cans and you are set.

Service interval on the Husky seems to be very conservative. Everyone is going far past it without issues. All the new 4 strokes have similar service intervals--i think the Honda is the shortest of all.

Havent read of any valve issues on the '05.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Reply with:

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...